• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused, need advise please

Sharie

New Kit
I have a year old bunny who I got from pet shop when he was 7 months old. Since then I have had him treated using Baytril twice for snuffles - sneezing with white thick discharge and minimal eye discharge. Each time only getting 6 weeks in between completion of anti b course. The sneezing has now started again with minimal nasal discharge only after sneezing and his front paws are clean and dry. Firstly is it possible for him to have got snuffles whilst living with me as he is not in contact with any other bunny? is this maybe a bad allergy? My vet painted a pretty bleak picture and said if Baytril doesn't work then I would need to inject him daily with another anti b. He also said that there are no guarantees with treatment. I really don't want to lose my boy or cause him any unnecessary distress. Is it possible to cure snuffles? If anyone has any advise or had similar situation please reply.

What bedding has bun got? Wood shavings??

I never experienced snuffles but there are other on here that are very knowledgeable about the condition. Not many of them around at the mo though. Seems quiet tonight.

Keep bumping the thread especially tomorrow early evening if still no response from the knowledgeable ones. :)

Hi. Thanks for reply will keep trying. I have tried shavings but am not using at mo as ?allergy. I'm using hay that is as dust free as it can be and putting down newsaper. Any other suggestions?

No sorry sounds good though all we use in her dog crate is newspaper on floor with her blankey on half of the crate floor and in her litter tray we use megazorb. Alot of people use hay in litter trays:D

Hope bun be ok.

Someone definetly be along tomorrow x

Hi there:wave:
Im sorry to hear your bunny is unwell, im not that well up in the knowledgeable stakes but mabye this may help.
My favourite bunny pumpkin went to the bridge 2 years ago and i got him in similar circumstances to yourself. I had been using baytril on and off for 'snuffles' and my vet took a nasal swab and turned out to be pasteurella which i think can be controlled with antibiotics but does have a bleaker outlook.
I managed to keep him for a year but eventually he had further complications and had to be PTS:cry::cry:
Mabye this is not the case with your bunny but mabye you could ask your vet to send off a swab just to see exactly what your dealing with?
Either way i wish you all the best with your little one.
Good luck,liz x

thanks for gr8 advice i really appreciate it. We're off to vets this avo. Will request a swab be taken and a change of antibiotics meantime.

Last edited:
some bun react better to diff antibiotics any way. nose swab sounds good, it could be an allergy tho if it was woulld think unlikely that baytril would help it? still try megazorb, carefresh or a shredded paper bedding with dust free hay in a rack. that will eliminate the allergy...are the lungs ok on bun? get a vet to listen....as chest infections are very serious in buns and need a stronger antibiotic.... also i would suggest keeping bun marginally warrmer than normal(not hot tho) as sometimes this can aid breathing in a snuffly bun...some people have treid steam baths too. hope this helps good luck xx

some bun react better to diff antibiotics any way. nose swab sounds good, it could be an allergy tho if it was woulld think unlikely that baytril would help it? still try megazorb, carefresh or a shredded paper bedding with dust free hay in a rack. that will eliminate the allergy...are the lungs ok on bun? get a vet to listen....as chest infections are very serious in buns and need a stronger antibiotic.... also i would suggest keeping bun marginally warrmer than normal(not hot tho) as sometimes this can aid breathing in a snuffly bun...some people have treid steam baths too. hope this helps good luck xx

Lungs were ok 6 wks ago & teeth were also ok thankfully. This maybe sound a bit silly but what is magazorb & do I need to get that at vets or can I get that in any good pet store? I have newspaper down at the mo with minimal hay (enough to keep him cosy). What is best dust free hay?

:wave: megazorb can be bought cheaply online...that or care fresh which can be bought from p@h or pet shop.its like pulped up paper ground !:lol:
long hay is best and i think that hay for horses is supposed to be dust free.
when our 7 yo bun had snuffles i would run the bath with her in a carrier (door/window shut) soak in the bath for 20 mins at least then put her back in her pen..it does help.also put bun in a carrier ,towel over it and hold a steaming bowl of water at the opening.

Back