• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC

Ok, the day before we went on holiday, Ash's blood test came back as positive for EC. Now while this is worrying obviously I am pleased because it is treatable. She has started a course of panacur and i have ordered it all in ready to keep her going for the course.
She is separate from the other buns now anyway as I think the stress of being in a big group was making things worse for her. Having read around EC my understanding at the moment is that all buns are susceptible to it, and can catch it but only some do???? While Ash is happy away from the group I think she is also lonely on her own, so would like to get her a companion, and keep them as a pair. But what's the risk of EC to the new bun? Have read around a bit but its hard to get a grasp on it all, gets a bit technical!!
All advice appreciated, many thanks.
None of the other buns have shown any symptoms, and the other question, is it worth giving the others a short course of panacur as a precautionary measure? can that help prevent it?
so many questions, sorry!
x jess

It's very likely that all the rabbits in the group will now test positive for EC. To be on the safe side, you probably want to give all the buns in the group a 6 week course of panacur (which I know is easier said than done!). I'd definitely do at least 28 days though.

I'm not entirely sure I'd agree with the bit in your post about only some rabbits catching it. I think it would be more correct to say that most rabbits will test positive to exposure to EC, but not all will show symptoms.

As for Ash...The positive test for EC doesn't necessarily mean that her symptoms are due to EC (sorry I can't remember what they are :oops: ). If she was my rabbit, I'd definitely get a partner for her, but perhaps search around for a rabbit who has also tested EC positive?

Good Luck

Thing is she has been a lot happier since being away from teh group. she never seemed to form a particular bond with anybun in the group, and would mostly be on her own rather than with the others. hence keeping her separate but getting her a friend. its all so confusing!
I thought like pasteurella most buns carry it but it only presents in some buns??? ie they all carry the virus or spores but only some buns will actually have a problem with it and develop the illness.
Her symptoms have been loss of hind leg use and drinking. Her kidneys have been checked and the EC was confirmed on 1st august.

bump, anyone else got any info or opinions? :D thanks those of you who have already replied :wave: x jess

I'd say if you not keen on putting her back with group as seems more happier, give her the panacur treatment for 6 weeks then when get her a bun friend, Panacur the new bun for the 9 days. Could get new bun tested aswell to see if got it or if has what the levels are like.

We Panacur Bunnie every 6 months for a 9 day course.

We are having her tested on Wednesday for EC though as we think she might of had a mild seizure on Sunday:cry:

I'd say if you not keen on putting her back with group as seems more happier, give her the panacur treatment for 6 weeks then when get her a bun friend, Panacur the new bun for the 9 days. Could get new bun tested aswell to see if got it or if has what the levels are like.

We Panacur Bunnie every 6 months for a 9 day course.

We are having her tested on Wednesday for EC though as we think she might of had a mild seizure on Sunday:cry:

Thanks, had wondered about panacuring the new bun. ;)

Back