• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi everyone i'm new to rabbits

Daphne & Peanut

Alpha Buck
Hello

We've just rescued a 14 week old rabbit called Peanut, I'm not too sure what breed he is but i will post a photo as soon as i can get one! I am a big worrier so here are a few questions that i hope you can help me out with.

1, What age should i start introducing Peanut to vegetables? I gave him a small piece of carrot on the day we got him and i didn't seem to agree with him so i've not given him anymore and just fed him pellets and hay is that correct?

2, It's raining really heavily at the moment and i'm worried that peanut may get cold and wet , i've got some blue tarpaulin to cover him up with at night, should i put that ovr him or try and get some clear plastic so he can still see out?

3, I want to be able to bring Peanut into the house but at the moment he's not using his litter tray what the best way to train him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tamsin and J-P

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to RU:wave:... you'll get better advice and more answers if you post your questions in the rabbit care section, so you can post in the diet section to get help on food, and you can post in the housing section to ask about his hutch and covering it etc... you might get a better response to your questions over there... also you can do a search for things like *litter training* and find all the advice given to sooooo many others who have asked the same question (don't worry your not alone)

Personally I used a cheap gazboo built around the hutches to protect from rain, but I know many people use tarpaulin, as it also stops them from seeing foxes and cats, and getting scared... though I don't know how they fasten it down.

As for veggies, I introduce them really slowly from around 8 weeks, though I did give carrot to a 6 week bunny as he was sick and it was all i could get him to eat, though i wouldn't recommend it as common practice. Bunnies have sensitive tummies, and changed to their diets can upset them, sometimes less is more and variety isnt the spice of life... maybe try him on green things, like dandelions, or some grass, or maybe a small amount of kale. (but not all at once) As their tummies get used to the new food, and it becomes normal, I may think to add a second or third veggie in.

But to be honest I am no expert at all! I just find out what works for my bunny, and go with that... I have had so many different bunnies in care, all of them totally different from the last.

As for litter training, I've never really had tooo much of a problem, I put the tray in the corner of the hutch where they go to the toilet, and they soon get the idea, I don't really do anything special...

hope that helps a bit

K xx

Hi

Thanks for the wlcomes and the advice. I've just been to a garden centre and bought a hutch cover it was £15 and keeps the hutch cool/warm and dry aswell, so i can stop worrying about Peanut getting cold and wet now!!

I've just been taking photos of Peanut so as soon as i figure out how i will put some pics on here.

Tamsin and J-P

Hiya :D welcome to RU!

Can I assume your name is Tamsin or J-P? I like to know names :D

Would love to see a pic of Peanut when you have the chance! x

welcome!!!

hope you enjoy the forum :wave:

please post pics of your lovely bunny when you get chance! :wave:

Hi Anna

My name is Tamsin but unfortunatley It would not let me use it as the user name so i have used my boyfriends instead which is J-P!! Here;s a pic of Peanut, more to follow.

Tamsin xx

IMG_1400.jpg
[/IMG]

:wave: welcome to RU and the the world of bunnies!
youve got great advice already, but i must add, youve probly already noticed, but owning a bunny is like 1 giant kodak moment! :p so keep a camera handy, and post pictures on here! everyone loves to see them!!

Peanut is adorable, i almost got a harlequin when i got my peaches (broken orange)

good luck, and dont be afraid to ask LOTS of questions!!

Back