• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

shiny grey bald patches..no sign of mites

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
went over to mums to check her house rabbit as my half sister is staying with her and noticed a baldspot either side of hunnybunnys neck but not as far as her back or under her neck. first thought...mites...BUT...no signs of even a flake of dry skin..no redness even tho they said shes been scratching a lot....shes eating drinking binkying fine......

so we eventually caught her and discovered she has a larger one on her tummy and one in each fold on the inside of her back legs. but no sign anywhere of mites..and for all her scratching no redness no sore skin..its totally hair free so free of it it looks like its been waxed/shaved/hair removal creamed off!!

id say mites BUT shes just begun to moult her baby fur..and mums been getting all emotional again and reliving dads death and what her own sons did to her which is very bad has left me with a lot of probs too but mums gp never sent her for counselling:censored: so shes been on the phone with dads daughter from his first marriage and shes been retelling and reliving it to her as they and indeed i are not speaking after the things she said and did prior to his death whilst he was dying in hospital for over 4 weeks......

i have told mum it could be stress from hearing her with her voice constantly raised and angry and upset..and how she feels afterwards......and so on..her bun is soooo close to her and i said she feels the upset too..its been going on about a week id say the fur loss and so have the phone calls..just over:evil:

im trying to find my ivermec pharmaq stuff but i cant find the three bottles of it i have:shock::censored: bloomin brain..i have the rest of the stuff in the box with infacol etc....oh poo.....

or is it best i dont do anything and get her into see bunny vet tuesday?

shes mums housebun btw and mums 78 with cataracts which are on list to be removed..another stress situation as mums been terified over it etc.

sorry, no advice but plenty of positive thoughts going your way, the bun's way and your mum's way!

Good luck :wave:

i would take to a vet...also is bun neutered? my bun used to pull out fur from litrally everywhere.... when had a phantom before speyed.... aslo stress can dull the coat but not heard of bald patches...might be worth givenin ivermetican a go anyway to illiminate the mites....

:wave: well this morning in the vets we found literally 3 teeny flakes of dead skin on one ear!! rob said mites indeed but wed caught it amazingly ealry he was very surprised. popped her xeno 450 drops on her for us too....

mum was worried so she calmed down knowing hwat it was but was uspet that she had to throw away the alflafa king timothy hay shed bought from jolyes for over £9:shock: i went in emptied her cage etc and disinfected it fromt op to bottom took off the grills and so cleaned it all the way and her tray..and told mum to pop her two cuddly toys she plays with outside of the cage in the washing machine or sink to wash them.

i changed my clothes when i got in but i always try to after being at vets!ive been itching i think its just me cos ive never had a prob not even when bif was infested:shock: fingers crossed i wont spread the little bleeders!!

rob said could well be the haY could be stress where mums stressed...

i have our mites drops somewhere..ill find them one day along with everything else we had vanish on in the last week!!

weird tho..her skin was still clean and shiny everywhere else the bald patches were!

Back