• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pee as a Weapon?

Julie-Sam

New Kit
Hello,

I got a rabbit sam about 2 months ago from a rescue centre, had been sitting there for 3 months... poor love , he had been dumped and they think he is about 1-2 years old. He was humping constantly so got fixed in week 1 and he has since calmed down. I have been trying to litter train him from day 1 with varying success. Sam has a box room 2mx1.5m witch a hutch which is left open, at night the bedroom door, which the boxroom is off of is shut (to limit pee in livingroom), but most the time has the run of the house.

From everything I have read it, and i am probably wrong, but it seems once the rabbit knows what the litter tray is for he will use it. Sam will pee in his tray when it suits him but most the time he waits till he is in the livingroom and pees all over the carpet. If i catch him about to spray and put him in the tray and rub him in there sometimes he will pee in the tray. Other times he will kid on to pee, ie tiny amount, then pee directly next to the litterbox. Other areas of attack are my partners side of the bed, about 10 times now, the carpet beside my partners bed and the throw for the couch.

I have been putting his poo's in his tray and putting little bits of tissue soaked with his pee in them. The material I use is called megazorb (is made from tree pulp which is sort of flakey and very absorbant) which has hay on top of it.

He used to pee on the carpet maybe 2 big pees a day but now he seems to be peeing wee amounts maybe 6 times a day. At first I was worried he had a bad bladder but one look at his face and you know its deliberate. How do I give him into trouble without scaring him? I have not been giving him into trouble because I wasnt sure how to.....

Sam is a really happy rabbit, loves getting stroked but is driving me mad lol. Does anyone else have experience of what to do with a rabbit which has no 'spot' except for everywhere but his stuff......

Is he neutered? Unneutered males use urine to mark territory, little puddles and spaying it everywhere!

we have the same prob with shauny (he is neutered).

it seems he goes through phases of peein on our bed (he in that phase now:roll:) he knows hes being naughty cause when we catch him he runs and hides- we dnt even shout!. i think you just need to keep tryin to catch him in the act, and then pop him back in his cage for 30mins. i think white vinigar is good for gettin rid of the smell.

sorry i cant be of much help, i know how frustrating it it!.
x

I have litter pans in every corner so no wee anywhere but the pans n the odd trail of poo balls scattered but who cares aslong as the bunnys are happy :):love:

ahhhhhhhh yes the spraying i kinda miss it :lol: biggles was 4 when i got him done must admit the age of 1 hes was doing it often, also the bigger the area he played the more he sprayed, is yours near any other buns as i had one bun whod been neutered who still sprayed for a little while after and i left a towel outside once which wasnt the buns and he tore it up :shock: took biggles a while but he has calmed down and has even stopped pooing everywhere too just on the 3 sets of newspaper i put down,

we have the same prob with shauny (he is neutered).

it seems he goes through phases of peein on our bed (he in that phase now:roll:) he knows hes being naughty cause when we catch him he runs and hides- we dnt even shout!. i think you just need to keep tryin to catch him in the act, and then pop him back in his cage for 30mins. i think white vinigar is good for gettin rid of the smell.

sorry i cant be of much help, i know how frustrating it it!.
x

it's because its clean, and doesnt smell of him i worked out biggs used to pee on hooman things stay on the most, he wants to share his smell with you cuz he wuvs you :lol:

do you have more than one litter box? our girls had FOUR in there house and 2 outside of there cage until last week, when we removed one. the more the better, but them in his favourite spots, it will look silly at first (more boxes than anything else) but soon he will pic a few favourite boxes, and you can start removing the rest.

also, older bunnies are easier to train (ussually) so i dont think age is a problem. he might jsut be a stubborn bunny, lucky you :lol:

Thanks for all your replies!

The only bunny I have is Sam, wanting to get him a friend but not sure how he would react having been on his own for so long! He has 5 litter boxes (there are only 4 rooms in my house!!!) He knows what they are for and where they are!He also never picks the same spot twice, which makes it useless moving the pans around!

He uses the trays at night time when he cant get into the livingroom or hall. Hes not willing to mess up his room only my livingroom! I have also noticed that he spray pees after i pick him up or have to brush him (hes really molting bad right now!) almost in protest.... :shock:

I have a bad feeling hes just stuborn and there is nothing I can do! Is there anyway of giving him into trouble without scaring him?

it's because its clean, and doesnt smell of him i worked out biggs used to pee on hooman things stay on the most, he wants to share his smell with you cuz he wuvs you :lol:

:lol::lol: hes a little tinker. My o/h has other words for him, hes woke up wet the last few times:lol:. i cant get cross tho im sooo under his thumb, think i love him more than my o/h:lol::lol:
x

Thanks for all your replies!

The only bunny I have is Sam, wanting to get him a friend but not sure how he would react having been on his own for so long! He has 5 litter boxes (there are only 4 rooms in my house!!!) He knows what they are for and where they are!He also never picks the same spot twice, which makes it useless moving the pans around!

He uses the trays at night time when he cant get into the livingroom or hall. Hes not willing to mess up his room only my livingroom! I have also noticed that he spray pees after i pick him up or have to brush him (hes really molting bad right now!) almost in protest.... :shock:

I have a bad feeling hes just stuborn and there is nothing I can do! Is there anyway of giving him into trouble without scaring him?

:wave: i think puttin him in his cage but you really need to catch him in the act so he realises, only for a short time. shauny after a while would jump in his cage when we pointed to it and said shaun (in a cross voice). unfort we can no longer shut him in his cage, so he runs and hides:roll:.

we use a camera for when wr not in the room (set up on a tv screen) and we can tell when hes havin the urge and when he jumps on the bed one of us will go in (and keep doin it untill he wees in his litter tray:roll::lol:.
x

I clap my hands quite loudly when Tyson goes to chew wires and he knows what I mean!! Perhaps that would work? I think it's as someone said him marking his territory as my 2 are litter trained and come in the house to play but managed to leave a little present in my bedroom on Saturday when I allowed them to play in there for the first time :roll:

Strangley the moment I ask advice he seems to be getting better! Hes only peeded on the carpet once yesterday and twice today and has been using his tray a bit :) Hopefully hes getting there !

Bungle has a different wee as a weapon....whenever his wifey Nushka gets stroppy he sprays her :shock::shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:

PS these two live OUTSIDE !

Back