• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonfire Night

silverfox

Warren Scout
I know that it is a few months away from bonfire night but I'm worried about my pets. I have a dog-Blaise, three guinea's Missy Black, Martha and Rose plus three rabbits Jasper Carrot, Jessica Wabbit and Sherlock Bean. The rabbits and guinea's are all new to our home within the last month.

The main thing I'm worried about is fireworks. I have had my childrens toys set on fire by idiots face-ing fireworks into my garden. The guineas cage is now where the toys were. I thought of bringing them all in the house at night for bonfire week.

I let fireworks off in my front garden but go around to all my neighbours who have pets and let them know we are letting fireworks off. Which my neighbours are grateful of. This I call consideration, which some people lack. The thing that gets me the most is that the shop near me sells fireworks to the underage at least a month before. Would any body have any advice what I should do? I will of course be bringing them into the house when we let fireworks off. My dog has always stayed in the house as she barks and can go for the fireworks.

I really love my animals and WILL not let them get hurt, so any advice would be gratefully received.:love:

Mine have always been okay, but i have two new arrivals this year so i'm bring them all inside, also may play some classical music to them, shut all the curtains etc etc (One of my guinea pigs is only a bab!)

Already reported the shop but even after years of reporting them nothing is done. My rabbits and guineas are all babies and I made sure they are used to dog barking but fireworks are more louder. I love my pets to bits already and wont let anything happen to them thats why I need as much adviced as I can get. (I got no help from police or insurance when I lost a brand new slide and two bikes, plus a ride in car, caused through inconsiderate people).

Thanks, this is what I'm going to do. Already built up a strong build with them. Jessica can sit on my knee for hours, so I dont want to lose them. I do however have to keep the dog in a separate room as she wants to play with them. Last year, she slept on my bed, this is the only time she is allowed to do this as she has a bed time (in the kitchen) since she was a baby.

I've got to be honest i don't like the fireworks at all.They may be nice to look at but i feel so sorry for the animals and people they upset.Personally i think they should be banned and only maybe have displays in a big park or something.My dog and pets are okay but my folks dog has to get meds from the vet to get really doped up as he just freaks out,even with the telly on etc and it takes him days to recover.It is so upsetting to see the state he gets in and afterwards due to the meds.I've also heard of people who have had to get their pets put to sleep.Its also the case as you say of shops selling them early and they go off for weeks in advance.I don't want to spoil things for people who enjoy them so thats why i say keep them only in displays and not for people to buy in shops etc.

This is why I always let people know I'm letting fireworks off. I have two children and they love fireworks, but they watch through the window. I do however, get very upset with people who let them off early. I would go to an arranged display (but due to knife attack wont go out at night).

I ALWAYS let neigbours know. One has a dog and I would hate to see her hurt. She always extends the same curtesy to me.

It only takes a knock on a door to tell someone, why cannot other people do the same. You can be prepared this way.

I would fine shops more than £1000 if they let them off early. I have worked in a large supermarket before and had complaints as I would not sell fireworks earlier than 5th Nov. My bosses gave me numerous warning, which I explained matters and told them if they did not like me refusing people then they should sack me. They never did.

FIREWORKS ARE NOT PET FRIENDLY.

I too was concerned about the fireworks that will be with us shortly. I also live in a highly populated asian area and was worried that the end of fast would result in fireworks - but it didnt! My previous bunny was ok with them - i read that its the lights not the sound that upset them! but I have 2 new bunnies and I am concerned about how to deal with this! I understand your concern

I'm really worried about this too and I've thought about brining them in, but then will the temperatures change be too much for them as they are developing their thick fluffy coats now? The hutches & runs have a cover but it won't keep the noise out and if the're in the run they'll see the flashes anyway as the sides of the cover are clear (though I can find something to block the flashes too)

Unfortunately bonfire night is no longer restricted to one night round here and usually lasts for well over a week (weekend before and after if it falls on a weekday etc.) So I cover my hutch and hope they get comfort from each other.... the temperature difference would be 2 much when it's over a long period of time.

If it's just one night in your area, you're lucky.

Unfortunately bonfire night is no longer restricted to one night round here and usually lasts for well over a week (weekend before and after if it falls on a weekday etc.) So I cover my hutch and hope they get comfort from each other.... the temperature difference would be 2 much when it's over a long period of time.

If it's just one night in your area, you're lucky.

No, you're right its over weeks and weeks and then again around New Year. It's bad enough when its dogs and cats that you can keep inside, but outside animals.

I think I might get an extra pen and set up some temporary accomodation in the garage and wiegh up whether the noise/strange surroundings will be worse or better than noise/flashes in normal surroundings :(

A few years ago I lost a new slide and two bikes due to the fact someone aimed a firework into my back garden. This is why I am comtemplating bringing all my rabbits in for a few hours until they stop setting them off. They usually stop about 11.30.

I hate bonfire night, it should just stop. We have fireworks going off for about 2 weeks. The rabbits and guinea pigs seem to cope OK, they are indoors at night and we put the radio on so they have something to distract them. The horses have to come in by 6pm over that time and some of my dogs get really upset, I keep the cats in too. I'm even more worried this year because Deli the dallie is even upset by the fire crackling and Pippin the pony seems to be scared of loud noises. It's going to be a very stressful time.:evil:

Back