• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prudence

Veronica

Mama Doe
I'm a little unsure what to do regards Pru. Her fur is soooo long and 'fly away' at the moment. I do keep it trimmed for maintenance reasons (ie around the eyes and bottom). However, I'm finding during her moult at the moment, that the hutch/shed/run is constantly lined in her fly-away fur. It makes me sneeze quite badly, and my family too. There is fur everywhere, and in the air too.

My little niece loves to be in the shed with the rabbits watching them in the hutch and in the run...but she too is getting badly affected by the constant fur in the air. It's really not great.

So....I'm seriously thinking of taking drastic measures. :?

I'm considering trimming Pru (for the first time in nearly 3 years) quite considerably. :shock:

I do actually feel nervous and a little scared at the prospect of doing it. She will look awful :( However, the family are on my back about the reaction people are having to her fur (and myself included..it's not the odd sneeze here and there...its constant sneezing) which isn't good for anyone.

What are your thoughts on this.... :?

xxx

have you treid also changing the bedding? some people have a reaction to the sawdust/woodchips/hya or straw they use and by changing this it can help considerably? if it really is the fur doesnt the short haired bun also trouble you? do you do extra grooming? i guess a trim wouldnt hurt her... its just a shame as she looks sooooo gorgeous wiith her long fur!!!!

have you treid also changing the bedding? some people have a reaction to the sawdust/woodchips/hya or straw they use and by changing this it can help considerably? if it really is the fur doesnt the short haired bun also trouble you? do you do extra grooming? i guess a trim wouldnt hurt her... its just a shame as she looks sooooo gorgeous wiith her long fur!!!!

Hi, thanks for your reply :)
Because of Pru's coat, the two have always been bedded on newspaper, with littertrays of wood cat litter pellets and hay.
Len's coat doesn't bother me or any one at all...even in his thickest of moults.

It's a tough decision, which is why I haven't rushed into it as yet. Pru's coat is so different to any other rabbit's I've ever had. At the moment, as soon as you open the shed door a cloud of white fur bellows out in the air (it's such a light type of fur that it floats in the air, if you get me :? )...and the sneezing begins.

She get's groomed once every 2 days, so I really don't know where all this fur is coming from! :?

Hi :wave: I have 2 long-haired rabbits and I keep their coats short all the time. Jack's coat is terrible - really wooly and thick, and as soon as I brush them both, they need doing again. I keep it trimmed, and they go to a groomers every 6 weeks for a cut and shave :D. I thought they would look abit strange, but they actually look really cute - all face and feet :D. I would highly recommend it for all long-haired bunnies. Hope this helps :wave:

PS. The fur aggravates my hubbys asthma when its long and moulting, but he's fine with them when it's short xxx

Back