• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please

Cyberdog

Warren Scout
HI,:wave:

My two female rabbits eventually had their op (neutered) yesterday (one also had a lump removed from by her front shoulder). They came home last night at 5 o`clock and we spent the rest of the night trying to get them to start eating. This morning I took them back to the vets as he wanted to see them, I said they had not eaten last night so he gave them two injections each which are supposed to stimulate their stomach, he also gave me some critical care mixture which you mix with water and they are supposed to like.(yet more money). I put them in their runs for the rest of the day, and watched them; slowly they have been eating some kale, broccoli and very small amounts of hey. They have had a few wee`s and some poos but for most of the day they have just laid around again.
They are now in indoors until they get better. One has just been to the toilet and done some very loos poo. Can someone tell me, does this sound as if everything is going O.K or should they be slightly better than it sounds on the second day.

Hi,the kale and broccoli has probably loosened the bowels slightly if they've not really ate anything much else and the shock of everything.They can take a wee while to start eating properly after spaying/neuter.If they are eating hay,some veggies and drinking,eating and pooing they should be alright.Just keep a wee eye on them.It's a big major thing they have been through.You've also had them back to the vets and had stomach stimulants.Any more worries just phone the vets,i did.When mines were spayed one just didn;t want to eat and i tried her with alsorts of veg,fruit,hay,bunny food,wee bit digestive and she finally ate some grass then went onto the hay.All the best.Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hi,the kale and broccoli has probably loosened the bowels slightly if they've not really ate anything much else and the shock of everything.They can take a wee while to start eating properly after spaying/neuter.If they are eating hay,some veggies and drinking,eating and pooing they should be alright.Just keep a wee eye on them.It's a big major thing they have been through.You've also had them back to the vets and had stomach stimulants.Any more worries just phone the vets,i did.When mines were spayed one just didn;t want to eat and i tried her with alsorts of veg,fruit,hay,bunny food,wee bit digestive and she finally ate some grass then went onto the hay.All the best.Keep us posted.

Hi,:wave:

We have been trying them with some carrot and timothy grass which I grow in tubs for them. They started by eating some grass, and then a quarter of a carrot each. This must have given them an appetite because then they started eating the hay and finally started to eat the mixer food that I usually give them. However one is still not doing much poo.:?:?

:wave: it can take awhile for the poo to come back round to normal if they have had any stress let alone an op....
the fact that they havent been eating too well recently probably has added to it..so long as its not scours (diahorrea) or none at all i wouldnt worry too much.plenty of hay and probiotics should help return things to normal.:)

We have been trying them with some carrot and timothy grass which I grow in tubs for them. They started by eating some grass, and then a quarter of a carrot each. This must have given them an appetite because then they started eating the hay and finally started to eat the mixer food that I usually give them. However one is still not doing much poo.:?:?

Well, today is completely different from yesterday. I just can`t keep up with them. They are eating everything I put in front of them, and as for pooing and weeing, well I just can`t keep up. At the moment we have moved the hutch inside until Tuesday when they go back to see the vet. I will be glad when I can start using wood shavings and megazorb again as against news paper. It looks like they are definitely back to normal.
My next question is how long I have to wait until I can attempt to see how they get on together again.:D:D

Hi so glad your wee buns are feeling better and eating and everything else :lol: it's so worrying isn't it.Were the two of them in together originally before being spayed?If they were they should be okay to go back in together.If not and you have to bond them wait a few weeks for healing and in the meantime let them hear and see each other etc,putting their homes next to each other or whatever.All the best x

Were the two of them in together originally before being spayed?If they were they should be okay to go back in together.If not and you have to bond them wait a few weeks for healing and in the meantime let them hear and see each other etc,putting their homes next to each other or whatever.All the best x

They were together, as they were sisters. Should I wait for a week or so to let their hormones to settle down?

They were together, as they were sisters. Should I wait for a week or so to let their hormones to settle down?

I think it can take up to 6 months for the hormones to fully settle down. Though I'm not too sure, someone else will come on in a while and tell you for sure :D

Were they fighting or anything when they were together?I had two sisters who i kept together even after their spay and all was fine.One was very frisky before,mounting her sister.If they were okay together before they should be okay together now.

Were they fighting or anything when they were together?I had two sisters who i kept together even after their spay and all was fine.One was very frisky before,mounting her sister.If they were okay together before they should be okay together now.

They only started fighting when their hormone level started to rise at about 4 months old, before that they were ok.

I think it can take up to 6 months for the hormones to fully settle down. Though I'm not too sure, someone else will come on in a while and tell you for sure :D

its around 4 weeks for hormones to settle in females and around 8 weeks in males. if they were fine together before then i would have let them recover toether and be careful introducing them do it in a neutral space and ensure that its not too large an area or any of their smells are there if they didnt get along before the spey then i would leave it 4 weeks then try bonding again in a neutral territory girl girl pairings are harder to bond but hopefully it will be ok. often it is harder too if they have previuosly fought.in saying this i have had 3 female pairs through the years and no major problems except for 1 pair. however during bonding do expect fur pulling chasing and humping xx

Back