• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Have a Bun With Dental Disease ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
................that has developed in adulthood despite the Bun having a good hay/grass based diet from being a Baby Bun ?

If so would you mind answering the following questions please :

1- Is the Bun a Buck or a Doe ?
2- If a Doe, are they spayed and if so at what age ?
3- Is the Bun a HouseRabbit with little or no outdoor time?
4- Is the Bun outdoors within an open area that gets good sunlight or are they mainly in a shed/roofed enclosure ?
5- What are the Buns Dental problems and at what age did they start?

I just need details of Buns whose diet and 'lifestyle' in early life ( from being a baby ) is known please. Not Buns whom you have adopted as an adult.

Thank You

:)

Alfie (7yr old neutered male) has small spurs on his back teeth - his vet comments every time he gets them checked when he has his jabs. They've never developed into a problem though and not needed any treatment. He lives outside, eats tons of hay and greens and I've had him since a baby.

Tam

Alfie (7yr old neutered male) has small spurs on his back teeth - his vet comments every time he gets them checked when he has his jabs. They've never developed into a problem though and not needed any treatment. He lives outside, eats tons of hay and greens and I've had him since a baby.

Tam

Thank you :)

I don't I'm afraid...but I see where you're going...has any other research been done into this? It would be interesting to know.

4- Is the Bun outdoors within an open area that gets good sunlight or are they mainly in a shed/roofed enclosure ?

1. Buck
3. No
4. Outdoor, got plenty of sunlight, but lived in a shed at night.
5. Bad spurs, that grew into his tongue leaving bad ulcers. Spurs grew back within 3 weeks after ops. Started at 1 yr old.

My Greg was from P@H, got him at 6 weeks old. Was fine and healthy until he was one. He was pts at 18 months because of dental problems.

1. Buck
3. No
4. Outdoor, got plenty of sunlight, but lived in a shed at night.
5. Bad spurs, that grew into his tongue leaving bad ulcers. Spurs grew back within 3 weeks after ops. Started at 1 yr old.

My Greg was from P@H, got him at 6 weeks old. Was fine and healthy until he was one. He was pts at 18 months because of dental problems.

I am sorry about Greg :(

Was he fed on a mainly hay/grass diet ?

1- Is the Bun a Buck or a Doe ? Doe
2- If a Doe, are they spayed and if so at what age ? na
3- Is the Bun a HouseRabbit with little or no outdoor time? both indoor and outdoor
4- Is the Bun outdoors within an open area that gets good sunlight or are they mainly in a shed/roofed enclosure ?in run all day and night over summer, shed time in winter
5- What are the Buns Dental problems and at what age did they start?she had no top teeth ever so the bottom teeth grew like mad,up towards her and would have gone into her top gum. after 2 years of 2-3weekly dental appointments she was eventually pts.

2- If a Doe, are they spayed and if so at what age ? na
3- Is the Bun a HouseRabbit with little or no outdoor time? both indoor and outdoor
4- Is the Bun outdoors within an open area that gets good sunlight or are they mainly in a shed/roofed enclosure ?in run all day and night over summer, shed time in winter
5- What are the Buns Dental problems and at what age did they start?she had no top teeth ever so the bottom teeth grew like mad,up towards her and would have gone into her top gum. after 2 years of 2-3weekly dental appointments she was eventually pts.

Awww sorry you lost your bunny to dental problems too :(

Buck

Oudoor Bun

Hutch/run in garden

2.5 years old - just started getting small spurs that do not need treatment.

Has very good hay based diet with minimal pellets and various veg and grass time.

Doe

Earliest possible age - 6 months approx

Oudoor Bun

Hutch/run in garden

2.5 years old - just started getting small spurs that do not need treatment.

Has very good hay based diet with minimal pellets and various veg and grass time.

1- Is the Bun a Buck or a Doe ? Buck (Charlie)
2- If a Doe, are they spayed and if so at what age ? N/A
3- Is the Bun a HouseRabbit with little or no outdoor time? No outside bun
4- Is the Bun outdoors within an open area that gets good sunlight or are they mainly in a shed/roofed enclosure ? No he has access to good light and big run all day.
5- What are the Buns Dental problems and at what age did they start? He has always had spurs on his teeth that had given him no problems. He had them removed under GA at the same time as an abcess. Vet unsure of the cause for the abcess but isn't linking it directly to his teeth.

He has always been fed a mainly hay/grass diet only supplemented with pellets at night, then only a small hand full. I have owned him since 10 weeks. He is a dwarf lop if thats any help.

Not sure if this is much help:

I adopted Kimmy from the RSPCA she was around 2 years old

I only had her two weeks when I noticed her mouth looked uncomfortable, the vet said her teeth were in a bad way cutting in to her tongue and causing pain.

Kimmy was pts soon after at the vets advice.

She was an indoor bun with me but the rspca didnt know much about her as she was found wandering.

Limited info sorry!

1- Is the Bun a Buck or a Doe Doe
2- If a Doe, are they spayed and if so at what age ? Yes, 8 months
3- Is the Bun a HouseRabbit with little or no outdoor time? No
4- Is the Bun outdoors within an open area that gets good sunlight or are they mainly in a shed/roofed enclosure ? Hutch and run in summer, garage in winter
5- What are the Buns Dental problems and at what age did they start? Molar spurs needing treatment roughly every 2 weeks, developed at age 5

My old bunny Smudge

2- If a Doe, are they spayed and if so at what age ? Nope :oops:

3- Is the Bun a HouseRabbit with little or no outdoor time? Outdoor bun from 9 weeks until 3 years old then indoor bun for 2 years then outdoor bun for last 2 years of her life

4- Is the Bun outdoors within an open area that gets good sunlight or are they mainly in a shed/roofed enclosure ? Hutch & run combo 1st time as outdoor bun, then 2nd spell outdoors freeranging in garden locked in Summerhouse at night.

Started age 7 with watery eye, diagnosed with molar spurs. Had 2 dentals 8 weeks apart & passed away overnight before due for the next one :(

Hi Jane :wave:

1. Buck

2. n/a

3. yes, houserabbit who doesn't much like it outside.

4. n/a

5. Bertie has molar spurs. He had his first dental in February this year. He will be 3 in a couple of weeks time. The vet said that it wasn't to do with his diet as she could see that his teeth were "good quality".

Hope this helps.

I lost one of my buns Santa (a lionhead) at the age of approximately two years in 2004. I had her from a baby, she was spayed at about 5 months of age. She developed malocclusion at the age of 12 months, her bottom incisors suddenly started to grow in front of the top ones at an alarming rate. They were removed but she had subsequent problems with her molars and we lost her the following summer after one of her many dentals.

She lived with her sister Mia and their husbun Boots in my summerhouse but with plenty of time in the garden.

I still have Boots and Mia (who is now 6) and her teeth are fine.

All had ad lib fresh hay, daily veg and limited pellets.

I have one dental bun at the moment, Bentley, who is also a lionhead. He is only about six months old but was going to be pts by previous owner.

Thank you for all the replies :)

I am really sorry that some of you have lost a Dental Bun :(
I am just finding it so frustrating trying to understand why an older Bun suddenly developes a malocclusion when they have had a good diet all their life and there has been no history of trauma to the head to account for the sudden onset of the problem.

Yet another Bunny conundrum...........:?

1- Buck
2- n/a
3- No outdoors
4- He is in a large hutch, and has a large run. He doesn't get much sun in the winter as garden is north facing
5- He is now roughly 1 year old and vet says will have to have molars done in approx 6months time

I have had him since he was old enough to be neutered, and has always had pellets, plentiful supply of various hays and chew toys and grass available. his brother's teeth are fine and they are both treated the same.

Back