• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny about to give birth!?

cat001

Young Bun
This will be her second lot, the male has been neutered, we're most likely going to spay her when the young are no longer dependant on her and she's ready for an op as serious as this one. She's built a nest in the bedroom area of the hutch using straw and grass and has also lined it with her own fur. The rabbits have been seperated, they've been sleeping in different hutches for a few months now but recently she's been grumpy about him being near her. I've also noticed she's been licking things an awful lot, a behaviour she never displayed before having babies, she even licks me! Is there a reason for this behaviour? She's a rescue bunny and for the 2 years we've had her she's never liked human company, but recently she's been happily licking people's hands! Cute but unusual for her. Will post again when the babies arrive! :)

Didn't mean to :cry: the male is a rescue too, after George passed away, (Lucy the females previous partner and rescue buddy) we got her a new partner, really didn't want her to be lonely :cry: He was only about 9 months and was hoping there'd be no funny buissness until we got him neutered, a few weeks later he had his trip to the vets and Lucy was pregnant! :shock: The woman we got Lucy from said it was fine for her not to be spayed. After Chester (the male) was neutered i guess he was still able to make babies! :?

Didn't mean to :cry: the male is a rescue too, after George passed away, (Lucy the females previous partner and rescue buddy) we got her a new partner, really didn't want her to be lonely :cry: He was only about 9 months and was hoping there'd be no funny buissness until we got him neutered, a few weeks later he had his trip to the vets and Lucy was pregnant! :shock: The woman we got Lucy from said it was fine for her not to be spayed. After Chester (the male) was neutered i guess he was still able to make babies! :?

They can remain fertile for up to 6 weeks or more after a castration.

It is recommended to neuter female rabbits, because it often makes them less grumpy, and it prevents uterine cancer, which is quite frequent in unneutered females. A good rescue should only rehome neutered adult bunnies, and if they rehome babies, then at least give people all the necessary information. Unfortunately not all rescues are good. :(

Good luck for your bunny, I hope it's just a phantom pregnancy this time.

Back