• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge not eating, advice ASAP!!!

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Fudge isn't eating, just been down and she was lying out flat so I think she has stasis!!!:shock: She took a couple of bites of a bit of pak choi, cucumber and banana, but didn't even finish the banana which is worrying as thats the first thing I can get her to eat after a dental!!!! I'm worried sick and need help wth the following:

1) What can I do at home to help her before going to the vets? Would forcing her to move be appropiate?

2) When at the vets what do I need to get for her? I'm assuming a painkiller and gut mobility injection, anything else, and what are the specific names of any treatment so I can be sure my vet won;t give her anything toxic to rabbits as I'm worried I'll get a vet who isn;t bunny savvy on such short notice!

As far as I know she was eating last night, it was dark when I went down but both came to the dish, she only got pellets and hay last night so what on earth has caused this? She was very bright yesterday, but with dentals and a RI shes underweight as it is and this is the last thing she needs! Help and mega vibes needed!!!!:cry:

mega vibes i know the feeling x try and rub her belly like to help stimulate. ring the vets saying its an emergency case! ill just go find my vets bill to see what meds they gave gumps brb x

Hiya, just had the same thing with Faline. I found getting her moving and giving tummy rubs helpful. At the vets they gave a painkiller called metacam, a gut stimulant called metaclopramide and we were also given biolapis sachets to mix with water and syringe into her.

Previously when she's had stasis at another surgery they've put ehr on a course of baytril, but I think that's just precautionary.

Sending vibes. :)

Thanks everyone! I've been down again and she wouldn't eat carrot or a rose petal, another 2 of her faves! Her tummy is gurgling and I've noticed small poos in the litter tray! Gah! If its not one thing its another with poor fudge!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Also should say she got her VHD jab last Friday and was a little off her food that night, but it was clove who was worst! Don't know if that is useful and shes underweight, only about 1.6lbs!:(

Lots of vibes for poor Fudge!

You could try getting her to move about a bit and perhaps give her some Infacol if you have any. I swear by cooled boiled water with a pinch of Recovery Formula or Probiotics in it, syringed.

However, your best bet is probably the vets today, that way she can hopefully be sorted out before she gets too bad.

Hugs

FC xx

Right so shes had a gut stimulate and ate a bit of carrot when I put her back in the shed, but shes since stopped eating again, and we have tried syringing her some science recovery stuff by surpreme but we can't get the :censored: syringe to work! It keeps squirting out massive amounts it won't just run out slowly!:? Help!!!

You have to really water down that recovery stuff. try cupping the syringe in your hand so that as you gently make a fist it gets pressed using your palm. Seems to be pretty steady.

I'd try syringing water if she's not drinking that's how we got Faline perked up.

I've just sieved it and its a bit easier now, also found a smaller syringe in my medical kit and its so much easier to use! Theres a big lump of stuff which refused to go through the seive, but I guess what I have is better than nothing??? The vet recommended a feed of 30ml at a time but have just read the syringe FAQ and it says no more than 5ml!

ETA: I'm worried as her tummy is full of air, am I even wise to syringe feed her as I though air meant a blockage!!!!!

Ah! wish me luck!:(

Last edited:
Has she pooed though? That's much more important than getting the recovery stuff into her. I would syringe boiled cooled fluid too. Try peppermint tea if you have some too.

Little syringes work better. Keep the syringe under the liquid and draw it up. If nothing draws up tap the syringe (still keeping it under the water) and it should shoot in.

Encouraging her to move about and rubbing her tummy gently will encourage movement through the gut.

The first feeds are often most difficult, don't be surprised it you get it everywhere. It's always a bit messy :)

Also, jamming the end of scissors or similar down the end of the syringe and wriggling it a bit to make the end wider can help.

I got some into her using a little 1ml syringe, but she spat some back out again! I'm worried I'm only stressing her more by constantly harassing her, but its not like I have a choice! I just wish she'd start to perk up as she got her gut stimulate about 5 hours ago now! I have left her about an hour, so back down I go!:( I can only pray she takes some!

Thanks again to everyone who has replied, its been a lot of help!

Try not to worry too much about stressing her out - it's totally necessary, as horrible as it seems. Believe me, I totally know how you feel.

I would definitely try some peppermint tea if you can.

why on earth does the fao say no more than 5ml:? 30ml is fine if you can get it down.

if you have trouble getting recovery down try using vetark critical care, it is just liquid and is very sweet, it helps teach them that syringing isn't unpleasant, later you can mix it with the recovery to make it more palatable. also the oxbow critical care is more appealing I think, than recovery. always mix in a probiotic too, I use vetark avipro plus.

fluids are often the most important thing to get down them, so well watered recovery might at least get a bit of feed in too while you get hold of the other stuff

anything larger than a 1ml syringe is too big

If its a one ml syringe I cut the entire end off and pop a little plaster round the top of the plunger so it doesnt push straight through :) This has worked for me and my vet showed me how to make them :) Sending more vibes. I also syringe previously boiled cool water as others have said :)

Back