• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poor freddie??

fredille

New Kit
Hi there, I am a newbie on this forum, but would very much like some advice. 1 of my daughters mini dwarf lop ear rabbits -freddie, has been sneezing alot this week, then this evening , lauren, (eldest daughter) saw freddie had a white discharge coming out of his nose:(.
Then just now, giving him a treat, of a piece of carrot, he seems to be making these funny sounds almost like gulping noises, like he can't breath properly?? we though that he had a bunny cold, but now not sure at all?? and suggestions please? he is only 3 in sept, and not ready for anything drastic happening yet!! would a trip to the vets be in order, or is this just a cold? Advise would be much appreciated.:)

Definately get him to the vets. Although in a human snuffles can be minor, it can be a major thing for a rabbit.

:wave: Yes I agree too, bunnies don't get colds - this sort of thing is usually caused by a bacterial infection so your vet will probably give you some antibiotics for the little chap. The big problems with rabbits are that they have to breathe through their noses, so if they are blocked up with the white goo you saw, it makes it harder for them to breathe (hence the noise) and also if left untreated it can travel to the lungs and cause a pneumonia which can quickly become very serious.

Please do let us know what your vet says :)

:wave: Thanks AlisonA, I must admit that I thought this wasn't a usual thing for bunnies to get colds? will get him checked out asap. He is in the same cage as lilly, could this get passed on to her too? should we separate them for the time being?until he is better?

:wave: Thanks AlisonA, I must admit that I thought this wasn't a usual thing for bunnies to get colds? will get him checked out asap. He is in the same cage as lilly, could this get passed on to her too? should we separate them for the time being?until he is better?

I would not seperate them as any cross infection will already have occured ( if it's going too ) and the stress of seperation will exacerbate the symptoms.

I would get the Buns to a Vet today as left untreated Upper Respiratory tract infections can develope into a much more serious infection on the lungs.

Dental problems can also cause 'Snuffles like' symptoms. Lops are prone to Dental problems so I'd ask the Vet to check the Buns teeth too. Dental problems do not always present in an obvious way such as the Bun going off their food or drooling.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Back