• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with colleagues rabbit please

DDD

Mama Doe
My colleague has a 5 year old male lionhead rabbit. He is usually a house/ garden/ garage bunny who hops where he wants when he wants. Recently, he has been limping and not using one of his front paws. He went to vet and had a painkilling jab. He is eating and drinking fine, but now has one ear lopped (opposite to the paw). He also doesn't like leaving the house, he has to be carried down the outside steps. He is usually lively, but now spends as much time as possible in the lounge near people lying down, not wanting to do anything. Any ideas what this could be? The vet thinks maybe a stroke, but it is the opposite ear to paw which is affected.

Sorry for long post. She's really worried about him.

How long ago was the painkiller given? Maybe he has hurt his paw in some way, if the painkiller has warn off he could be moping because he's in pain. Not sure about the ear tho. Sorry its just speculation. Hopefully someone with a bit more know how can help.

bump bump, sorry I don't know, but i do agree with the pain idea, he could have really hurt his paw, and be in a lot of pain, bunnies tend to flop... The ear could really be a coincidence, I've had bunnies with 2 uppy ears, and suddenly one day, one ear has flopped! and you're like what?! But you had uppy ears!!:lol:

Whilst the symptoms are not typical of EC it is a possibility.
I have an 'EC' Bun whose first symptom was a lopped ear ( he is an uppy ear Rabbit )
The 'not wanting to move' may indicate pain or, possibly, loss of eyesight.
I would advise that the Bun is re-examined by a Bunny Savvy Vet and a thorough neurological check done.
I would definately advise that the Bun is put on a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole)

poor boy! he hasnt recently had a VHD jab has he? bcus they get VHD limp sometimes, but then that generally only lasts a few days :?

as for the ear thing, is it possible he could have an ear infection??xx

poor boy! he hasnt recently had a VHD jab has he? bcus they get VHD limp sometimes, but then that generally only lasts a few days :?

as for the ear thing, is it possible he could have an ear infection??xx

No, not had a recent VHD.

Back