• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit choked today (I think)

iluvpeter

Warren Scout
:shock:Today I gave my rabbit Lil' Bit a banana as a treat after I brushed him. the last piece that I gave him he choked on. He had his mouth open like he was doing a toothy smile, teeth not together, tongue in between teeth like he was choking. And his ears went from lop to up and towards his face. Also, it's only with banana and apple, when he eats it fast. Help please....don't know why and need to know. :cry:

Last edited:
:wave: hiya blimey what a shock!. cant offer any advice, but lauralou i think had a similar prob with calton (see his blog, i think it was a grape) but i think in the end it turned out to be a big swallow:).
x

Sorry to hear this hope your bunnies OK now. I haven't experienced anything like that before only with a dog.

he's fine now, but i was just scared. Does anyone know of any health experts on the forum that i can ask?

:wave: hiya blimey what a shock!. cant offer any advice, but lauralou i think had a similar prob with calton (see his blog, i think it was a grape) but i think in the end it turned out to be a big swallow:).
x

I actually cacked my pants when he did it! I think it might be a "swallowing too much" thing. He's never done it since and I peel grapes just incase it was something to do with the skin.

click here.

If your bunny does it alot, I'd give them a really small amount of banana/apple and make sure they've swallowed it before you give them the next bit.

hi, im glad he is okay!
my grandpa lost his first rabbit sugar, because he choked on an apple. :(
the stress of that led to pheumonia in his lung, and he died the next morning at the vets. :(
be very carefull what you feed, and make sure they chew and swallow everything before you give the next peice.

Lauralou (I think I misspelled :))Thanks so much on the info. I just hope he doesn't do it again.

I was away this weekend on my boat and he was by himself I was afraid he would do it again. :oops:

I actually cacked my pants when he did it! I think it might be a "swallowing too much" thing. He's never done it since and I peel grapes just incase it was something to do with the skin.

click here.

If your bunny does it alot, I'd give them a really small amount of banana/apple and make sure they've swallowed it before you give them the next bit.

Carlton you sure are a comical chap.That vid made me laugh:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back