• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out - green bin or not??

Jelly

New Kit
Do you put dirty rabbit hay shavings etc in your green bin or in the black one? My green bin says no pet litter but surely if it's all 'natural' it should be ok?

I would have thought in the green bin.Why dont you try and google what you can and cant put in there.Im not much help as I burn all my bedding and compost anything green

All councils are different, so you need to check. My council says vegetarian pet litter is fine, but I know some don't differentiate.

Do you put dirty rabbit hay shavings etc in your green bin or in the black one? My green bin says no pet litter but surely if it's all 'natural' it should be ok?

I put mine in our orange lidded bin (which is our 'green' bin) and council did not empty it. My hubby rang to find out why it hadnt been emptied and they said it was because the dirty shavings were in there. Hubby asked why these were no good to go for composting and the guy on the phone said it's because it alters the ph balance of the compost. Not sure if that's right or not - he was probably just bull********!

my council refuse to collect it if it's in the green bin - and of course they only collect household waste every fortnight, so all my animal's waste piles up in the garden in lovely sacks till I can afford a skip - they won't even accept it at the local tip! :roll:

I'm not allowed to put "animal waste" in the green bin - I take it to the tip & put it in garden waste there

We used to be allowed to put it in the green bin but they stopped it, so now i fill it half full and put garden waste on top so it still gets emptied:oops:

I wish our council provided bins - they don't. We have to pile up bags for the dustman and it can be quite an eyesore.

We put all the bunny waste into sacks and take it to the local tip where it all goes into the composting/green waste skip. That's the hay waste, Megazorb and poos.

We also try to recycle the newspaper where it's not too wet.

:D

ring up your individual council for advice. We were told we can put soiled newspaper hay etc in as long as we've removed most of the actual poo.
:rolleyes:

i put all my shavings n stuff in the brown council bin.they dont mind taking it.i often stand n talk to the bloke who emptys it n he nevers says anything.x

I go up to the tip every weekend with black bags (biodegradable) but they won't take it in the green waste... not hay, not straw, not sawdust... so it all has to go into the landfill! gutted, our green bins are landfill, and our brown bins are green... you can only put garden waste in, not pet litter!! gutted! We have 3 compost bins, and I used to compost most of the litter, but then we got rats, and had to stop :cry: It's so annoying and upsets me, because we try really hard to be *green* and recycle, yet nowhere will take the rabbit litter!! :cry:

I fill up the green bin with bunny rubbish....then fill up the rest of it with leaves and grass from the garden :oops: naughty naughty but really we pay loads in council tax!!!

I put mine in our orange lidded bin (which is our 'green' bin) and council did not empty it. My hubby rang to find out why it hadnt been emptied and they said it was because the dirty shavings were in there. Hubby asked why these were no good to go for composting and the guy on the phone said it's because it alters the ph balance of the compost. Not sure if that's right or not - he was probably just bull********!

I would say the guy was talking :censored: we have a composter at home and it says vegetarian animal poos :oops: are ok for going in there.

Dont know if that helps?

I used to take my old woodshavings when i used them to the tip and put it in the green waste. The same hay/straw etc.

I put mine in the green waste, even though they say they won't take it - apparently the composting company "only" wants garden waste. I usually sprinkle a handful of garden waste (leaves, twigs, slugs etc) on top and they always take it. I suspect the bin men are smarter than the council men on this one!

I used to put the soiled newspapers in the recycling, for about 8 months but then they stopped collecting them due to the poo. Now I take them to the paper bank, which is a bit of a pain.

My bin is full of straw and wood litter from the rabbits and our council still takes it. Don't know what I'd do if they didn't.

Lian x

I chuck the lot in my green bin including the wet newspaper.
When I first moved in I used to put it in the black one but my council very kindly posted me a notice saying it was ok to put vegetarian pet bedding in the green one which is great now I have so many pets as it fills the whole bin!

Thanks guys for all the replies. Think I might try suzy and bluebunny's advice and hide it amongst garden rubbish. It seems crazy to put it in landfill :roll:

Back