• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Understanding us

Lucy

Warren Veteran
Rescue work is a very hard thing to do. I think to be in it long term you have to be hard and to some extent emotionally detacthed to be able to carry on.

This is not a dig at anyone by the way, I just thought it a moment for reflection on what we rescue people have to go through.

Dealing with the public is the number 1 awful thing and to do that every day of every week, I think we need to create a hard outer shell. For those with animals in care, when things start to go wrong with illnesses it can be so heartwrenching.

If sometimes I come across as unfeeling, that would be why. It's my anti-rescue armour that I need to carry doing what I do.

I have been rescuing now for 8 years and I don't think without my hard shell I could carry on. Even with that protection it is sometimes nearly unbearable. I have been accused of being harsh and judgemental, but I challange anyone after 8 years of dealing the public and animal cruelty to not be tainted. It's just how I deal with what I see on a daily basis.

Sometimes rescue people need more support and less of the armchair advice on how to be better at what we do. It's easy to say when you don't do it yourself.

Many rescuers are burning out so please support your local people or people you feel close to. We really really need it.

I complete agree with everything you have said.

I don't think that I could cope with working directly with the public, which is why I chose to open a sanctuary rather than a rescue. Most of my bunnies come via rescues so I never have to deal with their original owners.

Saying that I still have to pick up the pieces of others neglect and cruelty. The way I deal with this is to focus everything on the rabbit and blank out the rest. This works well when it is a sucess story but is so emotionally draining when it isn't. But it then becomes a case of we did what we could, now I have to move on to the next one and try again as unfortunately there always is a next one.
I feel like I am in my own little bunny bubble, whereby I can spend all my time dealing directly with the bunnies, whereas rescuers are on the front line having to cope with so much more.

I really admire the work of all the rescuers on here, you really do have to be a special person to deal with it day in and day out

I'm not look for recognition by the way, just a bit of understanding for all rescue workers. I feel for Tree today and I totally understand all the things she is feeling right now.

Well said Lucy :thumb: :D

I admire your approach on here...much better to be upfront and honest than giving the impression that you condone the poor treatment of animals by either saying nothing or sticking up for unforgivable behaviour

I always thought that rescue and dealing with the bare faced liars you come accross has made you 'hard' and what others see as uncaring *****. But I fully understand the need for a protection zone of blanking the world (eyes galzed sort of thing) and saying things as they appear in your head, no messing. Without being able to seperate emotions there would be no rescues

I have a big admiration for you guys on the front line. Dealing with all the **** people throw at you. But all the success stories are wonderful keep on going all these needy buns need you people to help them.

I know you aren't looking for a slap on the back Lucy, think all these people you get to on here wouldn't be just giving you a friendly slap! :lol:

Well said Lucy.

Totally agree with you. I didn't run a rescue but helped to run one when the owner needed extra help and I ended up being not only a cleaner, carer, homechecker, on line advisor but the person who met the public on a Sunday when they wanted to adopt. I was lucky because some people never actually got as far as turning up but I did have to bite my lip on many occasions when people who had no idea at all thought it would be nice to have a bunny.

Those of you who actually own/run rescues deserve loads of hands on support and not useless and unhelpful criticism. Where improvements could be made then I am sure that constructive suggestions would always be welcomed.

If the public weren't in general such idiots when it comes to animals, rescues wouldn't be needed. So maybe people could channel their energy into lobbying for a change in the law with regard to the selling and keeping of animals.

Helen

Agree it can make you seem harsh at times
Before Honeybunnies I was involved with death row dogs..awful:cry: so years in rescue work..
Sometimes you just can't sit back and not say anything.

I can honestly say that when anyone says on here they are starting a Rescue I think they are either

1) Completely cluseless & gonna mess it up & be a hindrance to "proper" rescues (cynical, me??)

2) Start raving mad:D

To put yourself in the frontline to deal with ignorant ****s with no regard for animal welfare, to nurse sick animals back to health, to spend all of your money & not be able to buy shoes, to dedicate your entire life to helping little furry things that chew your house, pee on your floor, take chunks from your body, & nearly kill you on Mass Bun Clean Day, to get "told" repeatedly what you should & shouldn't do by people whose buns you then get to rehome, to have the same conversations over & over again giving advice on bonding, feeding, diet, & healthcare. And to do it patiently without slapping anyone.
Yep. You're all nutters:D

I can honestly say that when anyone says on here they are starting a Rescue I think they are either

1) Completely cluseless & gonna mess it up & be a hindrance to "proper" rescues (cynical, me??)

2) Start raving mad:D

To put yourself in the frontline to deal with ignorant ****s with no regard for animal welfare, to nurse sick animals back to health, to spend all of your money & not be able to buy shoes, to dedicate your entire life to helping little furry things that chew your house, pee on your floor, take chunks from your body, & nearly kill you on Mass Bun Clean Day, to get "told" repeatedly what you should & shouldn't do by people whose buns you then get to rehome, to have the same conversations over & over again giving advice on bonding, feeding, diet, & healthcare. And to do it patiently without slapping anyone.
Yep. You're all nutters:D

Oh that just about sums us up to the tee:lol::lol::lol::lol:

i have never found your posts harsh. i think putting animals before the selfish human race is an amazing thing to do.... if you (and all the other rescues of this world) didnt do what you do where then would that leave all the innocent animals who need as much help as they can get :(

I have to agree:D, I have been rescuing for nearly 7yrs now but as well as having the detachment and hard shell, it never gets any easier. Yesterday was the first time in nearly 7yrs that I actually turned round and said I need a break. I know if I did I wouldn't relax because I would be wanting to know that all the rabbits were ok.

I cannot believe how many of us have all agreed with Lucy;):lol::lol::lol::lol:
(honestly only joking)

:lol::lol: I never mean to upset anyone, but I truely don't think people have any clue till they are more involved as to how damn hard it can be. On top of that, having to listen to people boasting about irresponsible breeding, giving pets up for pathetic reasons, 'accidental' matings, not giving appropriate vet care etc etc just makes you want to scream. It does make me wonder what the heck is wrong with people now. Everything is so disposable and we are the ones left scraping up all the leftovers off the floor trying to save them. :cry::cry:

When i grow up ( :lol: )I want to run a rabbit rescue and ultimately a horse sanctuary.
I admire you lot.
I mean like... ADMIRE :love:

A good thing to read Lucy, I don't know how you all do it, and I have utmost respect and appreciation for people that do. I don't see you as the things you describe yourself as either, you're very passionate and knowledgable, and I learn a great deal of stuff from your posts that I wouldnt be aware of else.:)

Last edited:
Lucy, you have my utmost respect on both counts of your rescuing and your honestly.

Like Helen, I've helped out at a rescue and used to put my head down into the mucky litter trays and let other helpers deal with Joe Public who I idn't have the patience for :oops:

You do do a fantastic job but also need to make sure you have some "me time".

Rescuing is one job I could not do.

I would be up for murder, I admire all of the work of ALL rescues close and afar to me xx

I admire and respect you all and know how hard all you rescuers work. Sending hugs to all those that need it x

Back