• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy Rabbit syndrome

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
This is in acse Joey does have it, I do doubt she has to be honest looking at the symptons on the net, but it's not going to hurt to treat for this too is it?

So can I have some floppy rabbit treatement tips please?

Is it pottasium that helps like a tomato or tom juice unsweetened ? :oops: Im sure Ive read that somewhere hence mine all get a cherry tom 3 x a week :lol:

Yeah mine get toms every night, but imagine it would need to be concentrated, I think it's Vit E and yogurt too?

Vitamin E for Selenium deficient FRS, we started on one capsule a week and got it down to once a fortnight.

Potassium related FRS is tomato juice, banana or a Potassium extract from the vets.

The yoghurt was used by one breeder as a binding agent to get the buns to take the Vit E powder, it's not actually part of the treatment.

I think it's either :

i) Floppy Rabbit syndrome. On Dr. Hancourt-Brown's book, under Floppy Rabbit Syndrome, she breaks it down to 15 different causes. On cause No. 5 & 15, it says "Splay leg", and "Limb Deformities, e.g. splay leg"

there is a note saying "........due to calcium/Vit. D deficiency and/or disuse atrophy due to inactivity and confinement in a small cage or hutch...."

In the eg. she gave, that bun who has the above shows "Biochem. shows a hypoproteinaemia (51.2g/l), slightly raised alkaline phosphatase (89.4 IU/I) and low serum potassium (2.75 mmol/l). He's treated w/ supportive car w/ IV fluid therapy"

OR

ii) A Posterior Paresis condition, and under this category, a simple splayleg or septic arthritis

If it's a simple splayleg, ea. case is different. To cut to the chase, most rabbits cope well w/ 3 legs, like Goofball for e.g.

P.S. w/ the no. of buns you have, you really should get this book and the other one I mentioned in that Rabbit Chat thread

Vitamin E for Selenium deficient FRS, we started on one capsule a week and got it down to once a fortnight.

Potassium related FRS is tomato juice, banana or a Potassium extract from the vets.

The yoghurt was used by one breeder as a binding agent to get the buns to take the Vit E powder, it's not actually part of the treatment.

Cool thanks.

it's on p. 315.

Carys has nothing to do all day -- get her to scan that book via Adobe Writer 9, create a PDF file, so you can view it anytime

Back