• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed for new giant

smarty

New Kit
Hi,
I'm sure yu have had many quetions like this and in fact I read a smiliar one a minute ago so some of my questions have been answered anyway.

I have got 2 rabbits and 2 guinea-pgs (2 up 2 down) and all are really tame and have always been well handled by me and the children. I have always wanted a giant rabbit just for me! I swore I would not get any more pets but came across some continental giants at the weekend and could not resist buying one. I fully agree with rescuing buns and wish I had researched rehoming one as opposed to buying, so hope I have not offended anyone?

I only got him Saturday and bought a huge hutch & run (I can almost stand up in it!). My rabbit has been named Dylan, and he is apparently about 15 weeks old. He hasn't been handled much and does come to the door when you go in to the cage. He will not let me pick him up,and grunts running away. I heed the advice mentionned on another thread so at least I know what to do now to gradually get him used to me. I have already be getting him to take food from me and have been sat in his cage with him. He happily approaches me and touches me and I have only managed to get a quick stoke on the nose before he runs off.

I am prepared to do this for as long as it takes to get him tame. I so want to have a giant that I can let out to roam and allow in the house on the odd occasion, and be able to hold. Do you think this will be possible one day?

At least he comes over to me, but when I try to go to him to pick him up he pounces at me. He launches at me when I try to fill his food bowl. Is that normal?

Yes quite normal.My last french lop was the sweetest bun ever but when it came to her food bowl it was another matter!!:lol:I'd heard placing your hand over the head and gently-very gently-push it down was a good calming method so i did that when putting bowl in and out of cage and it worked a treat.I dont feed B in her cage so dont have that problem now.As for cuddling,B is almost 2yrs and only likes to be cuddled on her terms.Shes indoors so i never have to pick her up unless she is in danger and to be honest i dont see the need to pick her up for a cuddle,we just lay next to each other and have a good stroke that way.What breed have you got?:)

thanks for your help. I was also told he is a Vraams Ruse?? which is a continental giant. I cannot find any info on this type of rabbit though?? Does anyone know more about this kind bun?
Given a good tip about food bowls - will try putting an extra bowl in so I can fill one and distract him with other? He let me in to see him today and he always comes to the door. He just isn't keen on me going to stoke his nose just yet. Mind you my 11 yr old daughter said he let her! that isn't fair! My neighbours must think I'm strange sitting in a hutch on the grass??

i always thought vlammse rheuse[not sure how to spell:lol:]was a flemish giant.ive since learnt its a conti.is a flemish giant a conti too-i get confused.The V R is a telly tubby bun though i do know that and they breed them where i got b from.

Back