• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks and dentals

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I need some advice on both really :(

I took Beau to the vets tonight because since he had broken his toes he has been a bit off with me when I get too close. He became really nervous with all the vet visits and being kept in the cage while he recovered but I would have expected him to be back to himself by now so took him in for a proper check because he seemed fine in himself eating and playing and I didnt know what was wrong :(

Anyways I asked the vet to check his teeth and his back teeth need attention :( Poor lad, he is still eating fine though and the vet said its not that bad at the moment.

While the vet was explaining to me about his teeth he stamped his back foot and there was blood everywhere :cry: The vet cleaned him up and said like a blister had developed on his back hock, the same one as the broken toe and it had just burst. He said it doesnt look like he has been having trouble with his hocks long and its possibly because he has changed the way he is hopping due to the broken toe. Luckily there doesnt look to be any infection though. He has sores on the other one too but no where near as bad and the vet said that foot hasnt been sore very long at all. I feel awful I never even thought to check the bottom of his feet :(

Ok so ive him in the house on vetbed. I have to wash and apply Flamazine cream twice a day, he has had pain relief and is on a course of Baytril. Has anything been missed? Is it likely he will always have problems with his hocks now they have become sore? Is there anything else I can do to ease them?

When I saw blood I started crying and shaking and the discussion on his teeth pretty much stopped but he is back at the vets Friday so I will make sure we finish the conversation. Are buns usually put under anasthetic when they have their teeth done or does that just depend on how bad they are and the buns personality?

Thanks guys x

I think you are doing all you can hun. Vet bed is lovely and soft and the flamazine should work quick enough. Sending vibes :)

Flamazine is brilliant for sore hocks !! The treatment Beau has had is appropriate :)

My Vet does not think it is possible to do a thorough Dental on a Bun whilst they are awake. She also thinks the risk of causing serious injury should the Bun make a sudden movement is far greater than the risk of a GA. Having observed my Vet do lots of Bunny Dentals I too cannot imagin how a thorough Dental could be done whilst Bun is awake.
Sending vibes for Beau :)

My Vet does not think it is possible to do a thorough Dental on a Bun whilst they are awake. She also thinks the risk of causing serious injury should the Bun make a sudden movement is far greater than the risk of a GA. Having observed my Vet do lots of Bunny Dentals I too cannot imagin how a thorough Dental could be done whilst Bun is awake.
I completely agree :)
I have a friend who has been manipulated into doing conscious dentals as 'all the other vets do it' at her practice and she hates it for the reasons Jane has given - not as good visualisation with a wiggling bunny who is swallowing, wiggling their tongue and generally not comfortale, plus it must be so stressful to be restrained, have your mouth pried open and all kinds of metal implements poked around, not to mention the drills....
I have also got into the habit of using an endoscope to check all the bits that I can't clearly see in anaesthetised bunnies so that nothing is missed. It's amazing how sneaky those spikes can be :roll:

I completely agree :)
I have a friend who has been manipulated into doing conscious dentals as 'all the other vets do it' at her practice and she hates it for the reasons Jane has given - not as good visualisation with a wiggling bunny who is swallowing, wiggling their tongue and generally not comfortale, plus it must be so stressful to be restrained, have your mouth pried open and all kinds of metal implements poked around, not to mention the drills....
I have also got into the habit of using an endoscope to check all the bits that I can't clearly see in anaesthetised bunnies so that nothing is missed. It's amazing how sneaky those spikes can be :roll:

Oh my, suddenly my own Dentist appointment seems less than appealing !! :?

:shock:

:lol:

I had some dental work done a few years ago and insisted on a GA!! it would be hypocritical to offer anything else to my patients...;)

Oh my, suddenly my own Dentist appointment seems less than appealing !! :?

:shock:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys :)

My vets brilliant :) He did say before he got to check under Beau's feet are you sure your not imagining the change in him just as he stamped his foot and then he was like ahh your right that will be whats bothering him :lol:

Ahh I see, I just was not sure if they would stay awake or not because I hadnt gotten round to asking :) Im sure my vet will advise he is put under anasthetic but I will definetly ask Friday x

One of my buns (rex girl) has very sore hocks right now... I read that New-Skin liquid has been highly effective (http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sorehocks.shtml) for treating sore hocks. Has anyone tried this? I went to the pharmacy and they had some New-Skin spray that I bought. My concern is what happens if she licks it off?

Not sure because this is the first time any of my buns have experienced this, im sure someone else will know though :) x

If your vet was going to do a conscious dental, it would probably have been done then and there whilst you waited.

He won't necessarily have a full GA though, some vets just give a slight whiff of gas to avoid the chance of patients dying under GA for such a minor op.

Can't give any advice about the sore hocks I'm afraid because I've never known the skin to break or bleed

If your vet was going to do a conscious dental, it would probably have been done then and there whilst you waited.

He won't necessarily have a full GA though, some vets just give a slight whiff of gas to avoid the chance of patients dying under GA for such a minor op.

Can't give any advice about the sore hocks I'm afraid because I've never known the skin to break or bleed

Thanks hun, he did say it wasnt actually sore hocks but a blister which burst :( The only thing he could think of to cause it was a difference in how Beau has been hopping which would make sense as he has just recovered from broken toes. When he said the skin on his feet I was like omg how could I not notice sore hocks but he said no it looks very recent and its only the actual blister which was bleeding, the other foot he said just looks a bit uncomfortable but he said again he thinks its how he has been moving as he checked Beau over about a month ago and with his toes he paid special attention to his feet and they were fine :(

Thanks hun x

One of my buns (rex girl) has very sore hocks right now... I read that New-Skin liquid has been highly effective (http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sorehocks.shtml) for treating sore hocks. Has anyone tried this? I went to the pharmacy and they had some New-Skin spray that I bought. My concern is what happens if she licks it off?

I would not use this as 1- it may seel in infection, 2- It causes significant pain when applied to even slightly broken skin.

IMO Flamazine is the best topical preparation to use for sore hocks. For less severe cases a Haemorrhoid Cream can be applied. This has the advantage of containing a mild local anaesthetic. Haemorrhoid Cream containing Hydrocortisone should NOT be used
:)

Last edited:
Back