• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ways to give Infacol (if any)

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

I thought I would ask for future reference as I'm putting some info together,

I was thinking with our bun it is such a nightmare trying to shringe or administer anything to his mouth, he will let us clean his eyes, ears, no problem but minutate anything except a finger goes near his mouth, he totally freaks out..

So I was wondering of other ways you can administer infacol (if any) or does it have to go straight into from the dropper? I'm not sure how the stuff works,

But just want to get things sorted in advance, he wil eat a shredded wheat I was wondering if you could drop infacol onto that sort of thing so it soaks it up?.

Martin

If you can, try to get him used to having medicine put into his mouth. There's always a chance at some point he'll need some medication that can't be given on food or that he won't eat willingly. Try hand feeding him is favourite foods and gradually try to increase the contact your hand has with his face so that he becomes less sensitive to having things around his face. Once he's comfortable with this try putting bits of food in his mouth - carrot is quite useful as the chunks are firm enough to hold while dong this. If he's ok with this work up to syringing yummy stuff - dilute ribena or orange juice are a good start so he learns that not everything from a syringe tastes like baytril and should be feared!
I find the 1ml syringes easiest when medicines are given as they are quite fine and tend to slide in the gap behind the incisors fairly easily. If he really doesn't tolerate desensitisation training then the most effective option is restraint :( wrap him firmly in a towel so that only his head is poking out and kneel on the floor. Hold his bottom against you knees and use your left hand (if right handed) to hold his head still and the right hand to put the syring in the corner of his mouth. It's not fun for them, but if held firmly and they cannot escape it is all over quickly and they can get back to relaxing

Hi Marie,

Thanks for your reply..

He's strange.. he will let you put a finger near his mouth, he loves having his chin rubbed and his cheeks etc, and doesnt mind at all, but the minute there is a shringe or anything he doesnt like the smell off, he FREAKS!...and goes into panic mode..

that's an excellent idea you mentioned about how to get him used to it though getting him to feed from our hand, and slowly getting him used to things that way, Im gonna try that, we also tried restraining him and i thought he was going to have a heart attack his breathing and heart was going that fast..

Even at the vets the other day, the nurse had a hard time holding him while they looked at his teeth, he was grunting and squeeling etc, and when we got back he sat in the corner shaking for a while, then sulked for the rest of the evening..:?

Im gonna give your idea a go though.. so...Thanks for that, Hopefully we will have some success with that.

Thanks

Martin

..... dilute ribena or orange juice are a good start .....

you could try baby food too. mine love the 'hipp' apple asnd blueberry one. if he will lick this of the end of the syringe you could mix the infacol with this.
you could try smearing meds on a favorite food stuff. i usualy use basil, sage or lavender..somthing with a really strong taste so the medication isn't as noticable.

Hi Maxxev,

Yea, we tried apple baby food and he ran a mile, but havnt tried carrot etc, so I will give that a go. I think infacol actually smells nice, but our bun seems to have a much different opinion.. I put some in front of him last night just to test and he legged it..:roll:

I havn't tried herbs, but he has some dried herb mix for rabbits but doesnt like them, hes soooo fussy.. i bet having a baby would be easier compared to him (though Im guessing many parents to new borns would beg to differ)..

thanks for the reply:) and the tips

M

Does he actually not like the taste of Infacol?

I've yet to have a bun turn their nose up at the sugary orangeness of it even if I have to syringe it in they still take it without fuss. One bun used to chew the end of the syringe trying to get at it faster. :roll:

Often the times you have to administer simethicone will be the times he has no interest in eating anything voluntarily, so that pretty much rules out trying to soak anything in it for him to eat.

Sigh!.. it would seem so, that's what I thought, I opened the bottle and thought.. mmm this smells yummy, so got a bit and put it near him to let him investigate he creeped up to, then turned and darted away.. soo, I put a bit on my hand and he sniffed it long range then did the same..

he's such a nightmare when it comes to anything like this, I thought he would of loved it too, he likes sweet things..

I was thinking of putting some on some fresh grass as he seems to still eat that when he was under the weather, and not himself...

That's what I mean, hes a nightmare ..:?

Put If I put some on a piece of wallpaper he would probably eat it:roll: (j/k) we don't let him eat wallpaper but he always tries..

M

Back