• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit dilemma - what to do?

I havent been on here for quite some time although some of you might remember me.

Basically until New Year I lived with my partner and we had 6 house rabbits. Sadly after 7 years together we split up and I eventually moved into my new house in June. I have gone from living in a 3 story house to a 2 bedroom house and space is tight.

I've taken Gus, Frida and Bracken with me - Gus & Bracken are now bonded (for all those who know my bonding problems this is good :D ) and live in the spare room. Frida is in my bedroom but has full run of the house at the moment. I also have Florrie the guinea pig in the spare room.

Gail has kept Zeb, Saffy & Edina. Saffy & Edina are bonded and are really easy to care for and are happy. However Zeb is used to lots of affection, can be really destructive, hates other rabbits and Gail is finding it hard to look after him. I had him this weekend while Gail was away and he seemed much happier in a small pen in my living room than in the large bedroom he has at Gails. The only problem is my house is really small and I dont know if I can take him permanently - he hates my other rabbits and I would have to stick baby gates up everywhere to stop him from getting to the other rabbits.

I cant have him at the moment as I'm still waiting for the flooring to be put down in my living room.

Basically I just want some advice - I dont want to leave Zeb in a bedroom by himself getting depressed. Gail wont have another rabbit so bonding him at hers is out of the question - if I take him I cant have another rabbit because that would mean 5 rabbits, 1 guinea pig and me in a really small house. I dont know whether to take the difficult step of rehoming him which would break my heart -or whether I should take him to mine in September when my house is finished.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. Sarah.

Is there anyway you could consider a bun swap with Gail. Would your single bun Frieda settle with Gail and you have Zeb if he seems happier at yours, then you dont have to worry about any increase in bun numbers or rehoming him. Baby gates up would surely be a better option for you than rehoming.

I have put Zeb in the rabbits in need section but it has to be the right owner - in the meantime I'm going to bring him to mine.

It sounds mean but I dont feel that Gail is equipped to look after a single bunny so Frida going to Gail isnt an option - she's equally used to lots of attention. Gail looks after Saffy & Edina brilliantly but they are much smaller, much calmer individuals than either Zeb or Frida.

It hasnt been an easy decision to put Zeb up for rehoming - I love him very much - but I have to decide ultimately whats best for him as well as whats best for me.....If someone comes along who I feel could be a fantastic loving owner, I know he deserves that.

:wave: Hi Sarah

Could you try bonding him with Frida?

If not you shouldn't feel bad about rehoming him. Hope you are ok.

Hi Sarah - long time no speak!! :) Sorry to hear you're having to rehome Zeb. I can understand why though.

How is Frida these days??

In answer to Mandy - I've tried and failed (as have several others) to bond Zeb & Frida - he truly hates her.

I havent ruled out keeping Zeb - its not ideal circumstances but I will keep him if I dont find the perfect home for him. I am hoping to get a conservatory next year, and although obviously he couldnt live in there it would mean more room in the house.

And Sarah - Frida stilll has the occasional bouts of GI Stasis but usually maxalon in her water, blackberry leaves and tummy rubs help her over it. Touch wood its been 3 months since her last vet visit for GI Stasis :D

Hope your bunnies are all ok too.

Back