• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to set up a rescue shelter

my friend is planning on setting up a rescue place for rabbits and she wants to find out some tips about it and what to do.
any advice?

emma x + louis x

The best advice to your friend is to actually go and volunteer first at a rabbit rescue as alot of people I feel think it is only about taking rabbits in, cleaning them out and finding forever homes in actual fact you have alot of highs and alot of lows emotionally. You have to want to do it for the love of the animals and not thinking you are going to make money as every rescue on here will tell you that the amount that is spent on just one rabbit when it comes in to rescue you don't even cover it on an adoption fee.
It is very rewarding when you are sending a rabbit to its new home though.

thankyou kayj
i have been trying to tell my friend that its a lovley idea but she needs to make sure she knows what shes doing and is prepared emotionally and physically =[

emma + louis x

It is very hard work and can be very depressing at times.
It can also be very expensive, take Ozzy, a rabbit here, he has been losing a drastic amount of weight. Ive spent about £180 on him with vet treatments yet we are still none the wiser as to what he even has wrong with him :(

It also takes up a looooooooot of your social life!
Im forever saying to my o/h, "I can't come over today hun, the buns need ....." , or "i have to ....... with the buns" etc

I would definately recommend helping a rescue, it will give you first hand experience, and be a great help to the rescue in question at the same time. :)

I don't know what area you are in but if you and your friend ever want to call and see first hand and have a chat then you are both more than welcome:D

Thank You KayJ I Would Take Up The Offer But I Live In The South West And Its Very Far Away From Bolton So Maybe Me + My Friend Will Go To A Closer Rescue Home.

The other thing I would stress to her is you do not get a day off
Christmas day..we who run rescues are still cleaning out and feeding..giving meds etc to all our intake..and you cannot plan to have low numbers as you can count on someone dumping 6 buns on you on Christmas eve!:shock:

Must have financial back up..at present we are really struggling to make ends meet..my poor hubby works 6 days a week to help (he has for last 3 years!) and I do boot sales every Sunday morning ..this is the type of thing she has to be prepared for..
as well as dealing with some idiots and trying to keep your cool..seeing some very distressing sights and not being able to sleep due to thinking of the ones you cannot take:cry:

having said all that I could not stop now..unless money runs right out...as it is rewarding..
as others have said fostering for a rescue is a good way to start and then she will have back up:D

The other thing I would stress to her is you do not get a day off
Christmas day..we who run rescues are still cleaning out and feeding..giving meds etc to all our intake..and you cannot plan to have low numbers as you can count on someone dumping 6 buns on you on Christmas eve!:shock:

Must have financial back up..at present we are really struggling to make ends meet..my poor hubby works 6 days a week to help (he has for last 3 years!) and I do boot sales every Sunday morning ..this is the type of thing she has to be prepared for..
as well as dealing with some idiots and trying to keep your cool..seeing some very distressing sights and not being able to sleep due to thinking of the ones you cannot take:cry:

having said all that I could not stop now..unless money runs right out...as it is rewarding..
as others have said fostering for a rescue is a good way to start and then she will have back up:D

What's Christmas? and you forgot the heartbreak side too!, at times it's truly heartbreaking, I find it emotionally, mentally and physically draining too!

Also dont expect to be able to have weekends away or holidays unless you can sort out people to cover you or have the finances to pay a pet feeder. Unfortunately the holiday period means more animals needing to be taken in.

Back