• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incomplete Spay? How to check?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Maddie has been spayed for about 18 months now - but shes starting to act what I'd say is hormonal. She never got the hang of her litter training, she is humping poor Nibbler, and most recently and most annoying she is spraying wee on me and wees on me if she comes for a cuddle.

When she was done, the vet did mention that there might have been some ovarian tissue left behind - but its not been a problem until now really.

The question is - how can we tell if hormones are the cause, or if its just a behavioural problem? Is it a blood test, or xray or ultrasound or something? She is in at the vets today having an xray as we think she has bladder sludge/ stones and I'd asked them about investigating the hormone issue, but he wasn't sure how to do that :?
Any ideas??
Thanks!

Oooh, I've no idea :? :? Is there anything they could do if it was incomplete?

Why didn't they complete it when they did it the first time? :lol: Sorry, a stupid question that was :lol:

Hiya :wave:
Think the only thing to do would be to operate again if it was the cause? Obviously I'm not too keen on that idea, but if there is something left behind, then I'd want to know, so i can make a choice.

I've no idea why it might have been missed first time, maybe they couldn't get everything out?

I think I might have a few "incomplete" spays too if those are the symptoms! Ginger is a hormonal moo from time to time and humps anybun that stays still long enough :roll: I would be very surprised if the spay was incomplete but then again I would be interested to be proved wrong :)

bladder stones can cause loss of bladder control as can urinary tract infection, renal failure and EC (http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo10.html) None of those would cause the humping but could explain the peeing.

I would be surprised if they could leave some ovarian tissue behind. Aren't ovaries a complete organ so it's like whipping out a kidney.....surely they would know for certain if they had left one or part of one behind.

Don't quote me on this but I don't think you'd be able to tell on ultrasound or xray she would have to be opened up.....probably best to explore other avenues first.

She was never really "hormonal" even before she was spayed - apart from the litter training.... The humping and spraying is a recent thing, so its a bit weird. Is the spraying considered "normal" - none of my other does have ever done that!

bladder stones can cause loss of bladder control as can urinary tract infection, renal failure and EC (http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo10.html) None of those would cause the humping but could explain the peeing.
I'm certain she knows shes weeing, rather than a loss of control (when she sprays). There is a some dribbling as she has a wet back end too, which is why shes being looked at for bladder stones. Could it be connected - is she getting excited and just losing control???

how unusual i would imagine a scan could tell except a lot of vets dont have the scanners....the once to tell if a bun is speyed or not not sure if they have a special name...nb its not an xray its something different....but if there is ovarian tissue left behind that is a very silly thing for the vet to do as it leaves them open to getting ovarian cancer which is the major reason i had mine done?

My Spice's spay was incomplete. I had a her opened up & they corrected it - there was uterine tissue left - or whatever - but they can do an ultrasound scan to check first:D

Back