• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run rabbit run!

Tracey8581

Alpha Buck
I am a little concerned about my buns.....

I have recently rescued Poppy from the RSPCA. I was told that she was 1 years old which I thought was perfect so she could be a friend for Bramble who is just over 1 years old.

She has been with me now over two weeks and has seemed to settle in fine apart from going to the vets once a week because she was given to me with mites!

Poppy and Bramble have been in the run together and in the garden without fighting, but Bramble has started to chase Poppy and seems to want to mount her all the time! I keep them seperate at night as I am worried that she will turn on him and I don't want that.

Both rabbits have been neutered. HELP! How can I fix this problem or will I always have to keep them apart?:(

If it's just a little chasing and humping with no nasty biting then you might be better of commiting to a full bond. If you keep seperating them then they will have to keep learning about each other over and over again. Try putting them together first thing in the morning then leave them together all day and as long as there isn't any really nasty fighting leave them together overnight.

HELP! How can I fix this problem or will I always have to keep them apart?:(

Quite the contrary in fact - it's your separating and putting them back together that is causing them to behave like this! It's a normal part of bunny bonding for buns to chase and hump...as long as there's no serious fighting then I would leave them to it, and if they aren't left to 'sort it out' then they will re-start every time you put them together. Ideally put them together at a time when you can be there with them (I tend to sleep on the floor overnight with new bonds so that I will wake up if they do have a scrap.

Good luck!

If it's just a little chasing and humping with no nasty biting then you might be better of commiting to a full bond. If you keep seperating them then they will have to keep learning about each other over and over again. Try putting them together first thing in the morning then leave them together all day and as long as there isn't any really nasty fighting leave them together overnight.

Thanks for the advice. They are definetly not fightening but Poppy does stamp her foot at Bramble when she is fed up of him chasing her.

Quite the contrary in fact - it's your separating and putting them back together that is causing them to behave like this! It's a normal part of bunny bonding for buns to chase and hump...as long as there's no serious fighting then I would leave them to it, and if they aren't left to 'sort it out' then they will re-start every time you put them together. Ideally put them together at a time when you can be there with them (I tend to sleep on the floor overnight with new bonds so that I will wake up if they do have a scrap.

Good luck!

Many thanks for your advice Alison. I will indeed stop keeping them apart and see how they get on and I will stay with them to see how everything is.

I've just bonded my boy and girl this week and they're now in their permanent home and loving it! Stew was ridiculous with all the humpiing and carry on in the beginning, but Dumpling just patiently hopped away and I can reassure you that the humping does stop. I left mine together in a small run inside for 48 hours and by the end of that time they'd settled into grooming and sleeping top to toe etc. Still some humping but nowhere near as rampant - he just half-heartedly tries now and again in case Dumpling has changed her mind!!! Did try bonding them pre-neutering and Dumpling was incredibly aggressive with Stew so the spay has made a huge difference (only done 2 weeks ago). Know all bunnies are different but I'd stick with it!! If she was going to be aggressive think she'd have shown that side by now??? :wave:

Bonding can be very stressfull (I remember my bondings :lol: )
Just keep them together in neutral territory- humping and nipping is very common, they are establishing the pecking order between them
If you still are having problems with them you could take them on a short car ride- car rides usually stress them out and they would snuggle together for comfort and security.
If you are still having trouble bonding it might be worth finding someone who is experienced with bonding to help you :)

I've just bonded my boy and girl this week and they're now in their permanent home and loving it! Stew was ridiculous with all the humpiing and carry on in the beginning, but Dumpling just patiently hopped away and I can reassure you that the humping does stop. I left mine together in a small run inside for 48 hours and by the end of that time they'd settled into grooming and sleeping top to toe etc. Still some humping but nowhere near as rampant - he just half-heartedly tries now and again in case Dumpling has changed her mind!!! Did try bonding them pre-neutering and Dumpling was incredibly aggressive with Stew so the spay has made a huge difference (only done 2 weeks ago). Know all bunnies are different but I'd stick with it!! If she was going to be aggressive think she'd have shown that side by now??? :wave:

Good to know that it worked out for you! I must admit that the last couple of days Poppy and Bramble have carmed down and he doesn't seem to want to hump her as much now.

Poppy did bite Lee (my partner) when he went to fuss her!

its bcus youre seperating them, they cnt sort of who's boss because everytime u seperate them and then put themback together they start their relationship from scratch, i agree with alison,keep them together :)

chasing and stamping and humping is very normal bonding behaviour

its bcus youre seperating them, they cnt sort of who's boss because everytime u seperate them and then put themback together they start their relationship from scratch, i agree with alison,keep them together :)

chasing and stamping and humping is very normal bonding behaviour

I have now been keeping Poppy and Bramble together in the same hutch and run they have been so good no fighting or falling out at all.Its a happy ending! :lol:

Back