• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DISTRAUGHT, can dilan be saved????????????? EC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

hardybaby

Warren Scout
hi everyone hope you and your bunnies are well...

i'll start from the top!!

baby dilan (which means 'like a lion' :) my cute little lionhead who i have had for 2 weeks if that is very ill......

i booked him into vets on thurs purely for a checkup as ive just got him so was going to register but the night before we went i thought oh hes a little different today...it was nothing major but i though lukily im at vets tomorrow so he will be sorted straight away you know.... went to the vets and he had dome gas as i suspected!! he was given a gut stimulant...took him home made him comfy and gave plenty of hay etc etc...went to work..came back and he looked no better if not worse.. all the time we were doing all we could for him but next day we went vets and tis time he was hydrated and given antibiotic and we were given some saches of recovery.... at home we gave him lots of it and lots of water and allowed him to move around, kept him warm, he nibbled at other bits of food we gave him... saturday he was not worse, not better so took him vets again and they gave him some other stuff and said thts about the limit we cant do much more just have to keep feeding etc...he still wasnt pooing much and my other rabbits who had gas got loads better as soon as they started eating and i couldnt understand why he was only pooing in dribs and drabs.... anyway we did all sorts for him as you can imagine...anyway....

tonight he just didnt look right and my next door neighbour is a vet but i dont really know her but i thought i just have to get her to see him coz he was just very still and he laid in my arms like a baby not even bothering with anything and it was upsetting...she came round and checked him out and she thought he was lovely but she told me she thinks he may have a twist in his gut and that an operation would be very risky etc. at least this made a lot of sense but she said he is very unwel. of course we are going to go to the vet in the mornig...my neighbour actualli works at the vet i go to so she'll probs tell them what she thinks may be wrong and ill guess we will see tomorrow what happens... me and my sister been crying our eyes out its AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but ive just been keeping him company and hes been washing himself which is good and ive just gave him some teddies...a big Zippy from rainbow which iv stuffed the mouth with hay, roland the rat a dog n a penguin.

it sounds so bad i doont know if he will b saved???????????????????????????????????????????????????

vet thinks he has a parasite now and want a poo sample what could it be..im woooooooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeed as lucy is drinking/weeing loooooooooooooads

Last edited:
he has been given that...we have sryinged him it thourghout each day but actually just now he had a good drink from him bowl:):)

that's an excellent sign. Usually that means he is turning around. I don't use Sc. Recovery or Critical Care anymore for force feeding, because they smells bad and tastes bad. And I thought a rabbit in stress given those "food" doesn't make it appealing to them.

I use blackberry smash into pulp by a juicer, and I mix it w/ 1 mm long (cut out) timothy hay. It smells fresh and it's good and my bun loves it

Keep us posted

sounds yummy thanks for the tip!!!! now theyve mentioned this twist in the gut though it wont matter what he eats it is blocked..should i stay hopeful ?!

WELLLLL!!! now i dont know what to do because they said he might have a parasite living in him tht can attack his liver???????

The parasite is probably E cuniculi, which can be treated with Panacur or Lapizole. It's not a perfect treatment, as damage can still be done, but early treatment means it's hopeful.

Fingers crossed for Dilan.

Aw poor Dilon My thoughts & vibes are with you both. Keep strong, rabbits do survice EC & you & the vet are doing all you can for him

i was afraid that was what it was ... but they just want a poo sample so i dont know...thing is the other two have been ill im so worried they are all going to suffer from it:(

oh dear...

poor dilan:( i have 2 bunnies at home called milly-moozer and cookie-crumbles :) id be distraught if anything happend:cry: dont think of the worst...keep hopeful and spend time with your rabbit...he will enjoy the time and so will you! show bunny love:love: a twisted gut can be painful..but can be fixed :) the parasite sounds strange but im sure it has a cure..afterall- your rabbit probably isnt the first to get it :) hope he feels better son (big kiss for dilan):love: xxxx

comment me back...thanks ;)

milly&cookie=my baibeeeees! :p

The parasite is probably E cuniculi, which can be treated with Panacur or Lapizole. It's not a perfect treatment, as damage can still be done, but early treatment means it's hopeful.

Fingers crossed for Dilan.

hi...my boy barney had ec about 5 weeks
ago and he was so bad the vet suggested putting him to sleep there and then,he had lost all use in his legs and seemed totally paralysed,thankfully i opted for the treatment first,although there wasnt much hope.
He was given steroid injections,antibiotics and panacur...within a week he was almost back to his usual self :D
So if this is what the problem is with dilan,then there is certainly hope for him yet :)

sending lots of bunny hugs dilans way xxx

Back