• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I doing something wrong?

HelB

Warren Scout
Well my Toyah the rescue bunny used to 'flop' at the rescue and it was such a lovely thing to see. She wont do it with me though and I feel like such a failure!! :cry: She is definately gaing in my trust and will eat from my hand and doesnt run away when being stroked in her hutch (she does when they are on the grass but I dont mind that) but I feel like there is more that I could be doing but I just dont know what. Both Rory and Toyah are seeming more in love then ever (yey) but I just wish they would show more affection with me as well, am I asking too much? What can I do?

ps. Finally having a bigger run made woop woop!!

How long have you had her? I think they need to feel 100% secure in their environment to flop so it may be she's still settling in...I'd give it more time :)

This will be week 3, she was very very scared when we got her. Problem is its starting to rub off on Rory who was cuddly before. I just need some good tips! I kinda kneel on the ground when I stroke her in the cage so that i'm at her level and that really works - suppose its common sense. I just feel like a bit of a failure, I know its too soon to expect anything really I think i'm just reading lots of stories on here about their rabbits grooming them and being cuddle buns and mine arent and i wondered if it was my fault!

my sugar bun has only just begun to flop and ive had her for a year. different enviroments do affect some buns alot so give them time and im sure it will happen the more you worry the longer it will take :D i find just sitting with them workes to get them to relax let rabbits do things on their terms! :D

The run i've got is big but i'm having a bigger one made so am going to start sitting on the path next to them when they are in the run and just chatting to them so they get used to my voice even more and my presence. (Oh my god have i gone wrong!!! :lol: I do have real friends ha!!!)

youl soon be growing bunny ears like me ... i have to selotape mine down so no body sees them :lol:

i talk to the nervous buns all the time ;).. yes its weird ... but not that bad ;)

im sure you re not doing anything wrong . Sioxie used to flop like Toyah ... but now she doesnt ever do it ... but she still seems happy and i see her lyiong relaxed so i dont worry about it .. :)

unfortunatly paired buns do sometimes lose their closeness with humans ... sad for us but as long as they are happy together then its the best for them ..

Helen .. please dont feel a failure . you are a lovely person and you have a lovely pair of bunnies ... enjoy them :D

I think there is a lot more factors in flopping than just happyness (I think that's one of those bunny-people only sentences :lol:).

For example, bunnies flop more in hot weather and in general stretch more when resting. I imagine because tucking your limbs in conserves heat. So indoor bunnies and outdoor bunnies in summer are more likely to flop out.

Safety too so a environment that has less changes eg a closed room rather than an open air run needs less constant survalence. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Change helps prevent boredom. It also takes time to get used to new environments and routines.

Personality is another, two buns in the same space won't flop equally. There are going to be bahaviour changes in matching up with a partner too. Even if they are loved up they are still learning each others quirks :)

Tam

Thank you angie! I think its just going to take time and I can but persevere!

* when I said 'flopping' i didnt mean laying down flopping out - they both do that all a lot, i meant that when Toyah was at the rescue angie could tickle her at the side and she just flopped, it was such a funny sight! I have been worried cos she hasnt done it since being with me:(.

Last edited:
Back