• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Available Rescue: Angora ladies in need of a very special home!

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Posted on behalf of Nix

Angoras.jpg

This is Mum and Little-Un, a mother and daughter currently at RSPCA Reading Rabbits. They are fully vaccinated and neutered. Mum is about 2 and Little-Un is under a year old.

They have been in the rescue since December 2007 without much interest:(. They need a very special forever home.

Physical Description

Both of the ladies are small. Mum is a black and white, mostly uppy-eared bunny; Little-Un is white with grey patches and very cute one up one down ears :love: .

They have angora/cashmere type coats, which means their fur is long, fine and prone to matting. They need brushing daily and ideally clipping monthly to keep their fur short - these are high maintenance bunnies.

These two lovely ladies were in an awful state when they were rescued, matted and covered in filth:(. Sadly Little-Un's bad start in life means that she is hopeless at keeping herself clean. She quite happily frolics in her poo every so often and needs bathing!

Health

Although in generally good health, they both tend to produce too many caecotrophs and sometimes odd looking mucus and soft poo. We have tried different diets but this is likely to be an ongoing issue; at the moment we have found that limiting sugary veg like carrots is helping. We will support any potential adopters with diet info!

Temperament

These ladies have come on leaps and bounds since they arrived at the rescue. However, they are still quite shy and dislike being handled. They nip if they are held for too long and are quite jumpy. Sadly most of their interaction with us involves grooming or clipping. We think that with a lot of TLC, they will grow more in confidence and have their faith in humans restored:love:.

Type of Home

These lovely ladies need a very special home with people who have time and energy to give to them. They need regular clipping and grooming, as well as time to build their confidence.

Although we usually rehome to the local area, if you can provide photos and/or (where possible) a character reference - and we can organise a bunny run - location is not an issue.

If you think you can offer these special ladies the forever home they have been waiting for, please email reading_rabbits@btinternet.com for further info :angel: .

High maintenance bunnies are great! I get a lot of satisfaction from ensuring Pru is kept in tip top condition. She HATED being groomed when I first adopted her, but after more than 2 and a half years now, she doesn't even batter an eye-lid! :D :lol:
It's important to try and make the grooming experience as comfortable as possible for them, and give them a treat (bowl of yummy veg/play on the grass) straight after so they don't associate you with merely grooming. That's what I do anyhow and it seems to work great!
I love these two so much! I'd have them like a shot! :love: :love: :love:

xxx

Went to visit them on Saturday, they now have names - Eve (mum) and Susie.

Susie put up with nearly an hour of bathing and grooming without nipping, she is definitely getting better.

Aren't they gorgeous - look at those ears! :love:
014.jpg

Spot the cunning stay-still-for-the-camera device!
015.jpg

Gosh, have just compared these with the original photo which was taken a few months ago. Can really see the difference in their condition!

Last edited:
They are still looking :(

Susie gave us a fright this week as she had a lump on her eye, she has been to the vet and she thinks it is an injury to her cornea and the lump is her iris pushing through :shock: . Nothing life-threatening though, she is going in tomorrow to have it repaired.

Both Susie and Eve are gaining body condition every time I see them, and regular grooming is doing wonders for their fur!

Susie has had her eye op and it's healed up nicely.

They even let me have a bit of a strokie with them in their run today :love:

Still looking!

They are coming on in leaps and bounds, they are so much calmer now when they're being groomed. :love:

It is still a 2 man job just because they are so fluffy, but if they were in a home where they could be groomed at least daily it would be much easier.

If I didn't have so many of my own already I'd be first in the queue, but working full time and looking after 8 buns including special needs ones :shock: means I couldn't give them the attention they need. They are GORGEOUS though! :rabbit2:

Oh they are proper sweet auntie Nix.:love::love:

Come on folks, someone must be able to offer these two poppets a loving home.

Back