• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stew won't stop humping during bond....

Marreline

Warren Scout
...???!!! Been four hours now and he's still at it! Dumpling is being incredibly passive - will sit and take it for a while then hops away. It was non stop for the first hour but must admit he's allowing her a little space now. She's had some food and visited the litter tray etc. He's even groomed her face a little and she clearly loves it. But then the humping starts again - she barely gets 10 mins respite before he's back! They're in a small run situated on the carpet in my spare room at present and I fully intended to leave them there for 48 hours undisturbed but is that fair on Dumpling???? There's been no fighting or fur pulling so am pleased about that but perhaps Stew is just a rampant rabbit who is never going to leave her alone. He was castrated two weeks ago - the vet told me to get on with the bonding but I know he'll be hormonal for the next 6 weeks of so. Have I started this bond too early? Should I abandon it or will things settle down? AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

(Put this thread in rabbit chat too - by a mistake! Sorry if you've seen it already. BORING!!)

Not only is he hormonal still but likely to be claiming dominance which is completely normal.

Kira hated Arnie humping huer and although he never hurt her she screamed. It was heartbreaking for me but I just had to leave her in there and let them get on with it and sort out their issues.

I took her out a few times :oops: Only because she looked like she needed a "nice" hug :lol:

They are the best of friends now and dont leave each others side but even after the first few weeks of humping for about 6 months afterwards he would try humping her occasionally but she just learnt to run away and he'd soon get too tired and flop out lol.

Good luck with it anyway it's very rewarding in the end :D

My experience with Mow and Poppet may reassure you.

Mow was very much like your male rabbit and Poppet didn't seem to mind being humped too much, she would just run away.

After being together in the hutch / run without fighting for about three weeks, the humping had calmed down.

Then I come down one morning and there had been a fight, fur everywhere and some blood, but they were cuddling up together - so I left them - very hard decision.

But they have been together now 6 months and no more fight they are very happy.

I think Poppet the female had taken enough and decided to put Mow in his place and he mostly leaves her alone now - he will very occasionally jump on her and she just runs away and that it.

If I put them into new surrounding for example neighbours garden in the run, he will try and hump her again. If I spot it I just clap my hands and it spots.

Hope that helps, Louise and the best of luck with your rabbits. x

Back