• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur balls

Hi all,

My friend has told me today how his rabbit died choking on a hair ball - can this happen??? WHat can I do to prevent it???

Thanks!!

I don't know about choking exactly but bunnies can get tummy problems due to fur accumulation.

In fact only last night one of my buns went into gut stasis very late last night. He wouldn't eat or drink and was not pooing. Having brought him and his brother in and having stayed up with him all night, he eventually started to eat again at about 4am. When the poos came out they were all linked together with fur called 'string of pearls'. As he is back to normal totally now, I am sure that this is what made him feel ill. I would always recommend a bunny who has gone off his food and not drunk, weed or pooed for more than a couple of hours should go off to the vet.

The best way to prevent this happening is to groom your bunnies to get rid of excess fluff, especially when they are having a heavy moult. My bunny that was ill is the head groomer out of the two brothers so I am no surprised that he has ended up with a problem.

Some people recommend either pineapple or papaya tablets (or juice) as this is said to help the stomach build up some acid which helps to break down the fur in the gut.

Helen

Regular grooming to avoid ingestion of too much fur
A good hay based diet (hay/grass forming 80% of Buns daily food intake) to promote a healthy GI tract
Lots of exercise, again to help keep the GI tract functioning well
Access to fresh water 24/7

Furballs are a secondary symptom as opposed to a primary problem. When the GI tract is sluggish due to a poor diet, dental problems, lack of exercise, then it cant cope well with the fur ingested during normal grooming.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend's Rabbit

:cry:

Regular grooming to avoid ingestion of too much fur
A good hay based diet (hay/grass forming 80% of Buns daily food intake) to promote a healthy GI tract
Lots of exercise, again to help keep the GI tract functioning well
Access to fresh water 24/7

Furballs are a secondary symptom as opposed to a primary problem. When the GI tract is sluggish due to a poor diet, dental problems, lack of exercise, then it cant cope well with the fur ingested during normal grooming.

And I agree with Jane on all of the above.

Back