• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just had bun in, kind of bad way / she's died 8-(

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I have had a bun dropped off, she's kind of dragging her legs behind her. She has some use in them, but she seems very weak, her eyes are streaming and her nails were so bad her her dew claw had grown back into her foot, the other side had broke off completely.

I imagine her eyes are running because she's been fed on piggie mix. I cute her nails they were awfull, but it look like they had recently one, as they were blunt at the ends, so dread to think how long they were.

The lady her brought her only had her a few weeks, she had her off a friend at work who had a baby, but she said she didn't want her as she was aggressive (she's not been aggressive with me yet). She said she had lived for two years with the other woman in a plastic cage (the one with the plastic lid) and never got out. Do you think she's got muscle wastage in her back legs?

Last edited:
If she's been kept in a tiny cage with no exercise or even much room to move I'd say it was quite likely.

Poor girl :cry:

I was a bit worried in case of ec, but I do think it might be her muscles, I just trying to get some vid footage for you but she wont move as soon as I press play. She's bright in herself though, very nervous, but lively enough considering she is having trouble walking.

Bless her :( She sounds very similar to my Evie, she has very restricted use of her back legs and muscle wastage as she was kept in cramped conditions. Unfortunately she hasn't improved with exercise and is battling an active EC infection too which obviously doesn't help. She does continue to enjoy life though :)

Thank goodness you have her now Tree, I know you will do everything you can for her

:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Poor girl, how awful for her.
So pleased she's with you, and will have a new start in life.

She couldnt be in a better place Tree. Poor bunny girl, sending nose rubs and vibes too xx

It could be a couple of things or a combination. It would probably be a good idea to treat for EC as a precaution. Try and restrict her (no opportunity to climb jump or too large an area) until the vet has checked for physical issues such as a break, slipped disk or spinal problems. If the vet gives all clear ask them to show you some physio techniques to help build up her muscles gently.

If her claws were very long for a long period that could also effect her ability to move and given her an odd gait which may improve gradually.

Tam

poor bun :( :( :(

it sounds like its due to the bad conditions but i would treat her as poss ec and treat as a prevention just in case .

give her a cuddle from me ... poor girl :(

:evil:

I would keep her comfy till the vet can give her a good checking over. There could be multiple problems going on. She must feel better just for having her nails cut already. I'm sure she'll do fine now she's wih you. Fancy the other woman not getting her seen by a vet :shock:

Thanks everyone, I have panacur in so I can start her off, she can stretch her legs out to wash her feet and move them while sitting down, but when she starts moving she has trouble. The best way to descibe it is like when they come home from having a GA when they're all wobberly and unsteady on their feet. I have just took all her hay bedding out and swapped it for blankets as she's a prime candidate for getting her legs wrapped around the hay.

I will book her in vets and see if they can do her teeth, neuter, and give her an xray while she's under.

Should I cut her space off then, she is loving having some space too, I will feel a bit mean :oops:. Shall I leave her to have a run round at the minute then shut her upstairs in her hutch for overnight?

It's bloomin month end again, so can't go to the vets first thing in the morning, but will get her in for tomorrow night. She doesn't seem in any pain, I mean I know they hide it, but she seems excited by everything even playing with her toys.

The woman said to me, she didn't know how they walked, I said not like that :shock:, she said she didn't know anything was wrong :shock: her eyes are streaming, never mind the walking.

Poor sweetheart! :cry:

Hopefully, it is just a matter of giving her some space to exercise those leg muscles. When I first took Miffy out of her cage, she couldn't walk far and running was out of the question. The overgrown claws have probably made it painful for her to move around much (like Miffy).

You could really swing for some people couldn't you? :evil: She's very lucky to have found you Tree.

Carmen

Going on what we did with the Brent bunnies who had limited space, keep her to what she was used to and gradually increase it. This is important if you suspect injury or muscle wastage; too much space and binkying could end with a broken back! It's horrible I know after they have come from somewhere like that, you want them to have as much space as possible straight away.

Also second what others have said about Panacur, whatever other problems there are there is likely to be EC if she has come from bad conditions - I would go for the 28 day treatment regardless.

I know of a bunny local to me who had EC related back leg weakness, her owners had a chariot built for her to build up her strength and eventually she was hopping around again. Not every case ends so happily but if this is something that might be an option I can get you further info.

Good luck and I hope she pulls through.

P.S. Do you have any fucithalmic/tiacil in stock for her eyes? If so it won't do any harm to treat her with that while you are waiting to get her into the vets.

If not, I am not normally one for home remedies but cold black tea on cotton wool is very soothing.

OK shut her upstairs, feel terrible :oops:, i'll keep her upstairs until the vets have found out what is wrong with her. I have took her some chewy toys rather than chucky toys to keep her busy. I have tiacil, I have to keep that in because of Zippy and will bath her eyes with tea for her. Thanks

Here she is

P1000104.jpg

P1000103.jpg

Aww, she's lovely :love: She seems quite up on her legs, the position she's sitting in the photo doesn't look wrong if you follow. So hopefully it is just muscle wastage :)

Back