• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to rabbits - help please!

CatG

New Kit
Hi everybody!

I was wondering if you can help me...

My friend bought a rabbit about 2 months ago. The petshop told her he is lionhead (but he isn't as fluffy as some I've seen so not sure if he is a cross?)

Well she has to move out of her house next month and the person she is moving in with won't let her take him so she has asked me to have him until she can persuade her new housemate.

I love animals so am happy to look after him but I have a few reservations, as I haven't had a rabbit before.

Basically, he is in an indoor cage atm which I personally feel is quite small (it was from P@H but I can't see it on the website now - it is smaller than the Nero one I think) so she has said she will get him an outdoor cage and run for me to keep him in. What sort of size should I suggest getting?
I'm a bit worried she will show up with a small one. The only ones I have seen that are nice are quite dear so I'm not sure if she will be prepared to get one so if anyone could point me towards a reasonably priced one that'd be good (I thought the Sage one from P@H looked nice and very reasonable but I don't know if she'll even spend that much).

He lives on his own :(- I know that isn't ideal but will he be OK? I bought him a little cuddly toy today (no eyes or beans in) because I read that if they are on their own, bunnies like those.

He eats Pellets (I think they are Excel - dark green bag?) - are these suitable? I have had a look at what they should eat so know to give him plenty of hay and some veggies. Is there anything else?

He hasn't been neutered or vaccinated - will this be a problem?

Do you have any toys that your rabbits love? I saw the carrot patch toy in P@H - thought that looked good?

Also as a lionhead does he need anything special?

Basically any advice welcomed!! I'm really sorry to ask all these questions but I want to make sure I can take proper care of him before I officially agree!!!

Hi, welcome to the site, well done for doing your research, seems like you've thought of lots of the main issues.

I would agree that the Nero cages are generally too small, so an outside hutch with permanent run attached sounds good to me. I would say the hutch should be a minimum 5ft x 2ft x 2ft which is the recommended minimum according to the RSPCA. Do you know how much she has to spend? Ebay may well be worth a look. If he is to stay as a house rabbit then lots of people use large dog crates and build shelves into them to create two floors. This is suitable as long as the bunny has lots of time out to run around.

Ideally, as you say, he should be bonded with another rabbit, especially if he is going to move outdoors as he'll naturally have less human contact. If this is to happen then neutering is definitely a good idea. Would probably sort out vaccinations first though, as he'll certainly need those doing especially if he's going to be living outside as the risk is greater.

Excel is a good food. He should have a small amount of pellets daily, with unlimited hay and fresh water, and some fresh veg.

It's great that you're thinking about all this stuff, sounds like he's going to be very well looked after with you! :thumb:

Lionheads come in all fluffiness!
The petshop i got Toffee from said he was a lion head, but the vet said he MUST have Angora in him as he's so fluffy and the texture of his fur etc.etc.
Anyway. If you go on FreeCycle they have some free hutches in your area if you have a look.
Also if you do want the Sage house tell her to get it!! And also i'd recommend a very large run on the lawn as they just love to run around and binky!
Bunnies love to dig so in the run a large flower pot filled with soil i'm sure he'll love.
They also love tunnels, willow balls and all sorts.
1/3 of a rabbits diet is pellets, another 1/3 hay and another 1/3 veggies
hay is very very important.
Excel is a good quality food, i feed my two on this.
Also i owuld recommend getting him vaccinated, i've seen so many people lose their bunnies to diseases that could have been prevented due to vaccination so i never take ANY chances.
Rabbits are very sociable animals and he'll love a female friend!
Getting him neutured means that he'll be alot happier and friendly because his hormones are not ruling over him anymore and then he can be bonded with a rescue spayed doe (there are SO many does rescues that need homes :) )Think i've covered everything ;)
Lots of luck :)

Thanks guys!

I just feel so bad for him - I have hamsters and I try to make sure they have the best of everything - their cages aren't a massive amount smaller than bunny's indoor hutch IMO :( He is such a lovely little guy too- really pretty and sweet tempered.

I don't have room to have him as a house bunny unfortunately, so he will have to go outside but I'll make sure he has plenty of company. My boyfriend likes bunnies too and as he is at Uni, he'll be at home quite a bit.
I've told my friend he needs a buddy but she thinks he is OK and to be fair she does have him as a house rabbit.

The main problem is I can't justify buying him the stuff I would want for him, as I don't have much money and I'm only having him temporarily, so I'm relying on my friend to get the hutch and to cover the vet bills etc. Obviously I'm happy to get his toys and treats but it is her rabbit at the end of the day :(

The hutches I would choose are well over £100 and I can't see her being prepared to get one - especially when I tell her he needs to be vaccinated before he comes :( I'll keep an eye on Freecycle but I haven't seen many up around here. Maybe preloved would have something? I just don't want her to show up with a little tatty hutch thing - I like my furries to have a nice home :oops: I'm not sure how much she'll be willing to spend but her indoor cage was only £25ish so I presume no more than like £40/50.

I guess I'll have to speak to her about it and see what she says.

Thanks for all your help - I will probably have many more questions if I get him!!!! xx

Hello
Welcome To The Site
First Off I Just Got A Rabbit This Afternoon And Im A Recent Rabbit
Owner But If I Were You I Wouldnt Get A Lionhead As A First Time Rabbit.
When I Was Looking For Rabbits For Sale I Asked One Breeder What Is A Good First Time Rabbits And She Said Netherland Dwarfs Or Lops. Lionheads Are Time Consuming Because Of The Grooming And Stuff.
I Dont Know Much About Lionheads But All I Know Is That All Rabbits Get Lonley =[
I Hope I Helped A Bit

Emma x

Back