• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cecotropes

lilminxlou

Mama Doe
hi ive just been wondering, lately i cant see gumpys so i presume hes just been eating them or has he not done any? myxi however keeps doing them but doesnt eat them also i find loads but not in a bunch just like single ones what does this mean?

Typically you will never see cecotropes in the first place as they will nab them fresh out of the oven so to speak :lol: Every bun that I have had will always eat them right away, I can say the only way I've seen them is when they're in the process of being eaten, never just laying around.

If you can't find them, and everything else is normal, don't worry :)

Is there anyway you could take a piccie, as terrible as that sounds? How old is she? If she's a young one she may ignore them occasionally but as they grow up they tend to never leave them just laying around. What is her diet right now?

fresh hay and plenty of it, pellets once a day and water and the occasional treat yes she is around 9-10 weeks i would guess

oh and fruit and veg every other day

Last edited:
can anyone tell me at what age is the best to start introducing Fruit n veg to a bunnys diet please my 2 bunnies are now 12 weeks old they are getting pellets split to morning n night unlimited hay all day 2 crocks of water full all the time can i give parsley as a treat mixed in their hay as my o/h has grown me a barrel full mixed with coriander but i keep seeing different posts to giving parsley :?

hi

Angel does quite a lot of cecotrophes, its normally that they are getting too much greens/hay (fibre) or not enough so adjust to what you think. A lot of people seem to be asking the same q my thoughts was is it the time of year i.e lots of nutritious grass. Nowt to worry about aslong as shes ok in herself and she must be eating them as she would not be here now if she wasn't! If they dont eat them their caceum (2nd stomach) shuts down.;)

Mine seem to do several a day, i rarely see chester's, but martha likes to leave hers either stuck to her bottom or she treads them on the floor (most seem to get eaten) Lotties i occasionally see in bits on the grass, they don't always seem to stay in clusters do they?

Back