• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis Diary

elve

Banned
Happens to us all eventually - and our bunnies get it too :shock:

Yesterday 6pm
Give girls carrots in the shed before letting Benny out.
Primrose is sat on the chair and not interested in food :roll:
Open the door, chase her off the chair gently, round the shed a couple of times, and round the patio.
She's breathing really heavy and it's warm, so I leave it.

8pm
No change with Primrose

10pm
No change with Primrose - doesn't want supper :(

Today 9am
No change with Primrose - doesn't want breakfast :?
I manage to grab her round her middle, on her hips, and hold on while she frantically tries to gallop free, rubbing her tummy with my fingers for a few seconds - it worked last time so it's worth a try - at least she filed her back toenails down nicely on the concrete floor :shock:
To my amazement, she goes and has a drink - no need to syringe her now! :p
Then back to 'poorly mode' - have to let Benny out so I leave her.

10am
Let girls out after Benny's locked up - Primrose's drink has worked its magic - she's looking alert and hopping about :D Still not eating hay though :( Has left some sticky poops in the trays and on the floor :( HUGE gurgles from her tummy :shock:

what to do? Give them all bromelain tablets and she eats one! :p

Sneak her a few pellets while her sisters are scoffing hay - she eats a few and loses interest :(
Find some bits in the garden - she eats 2 plantain leaves, a plantain flower stalk, 3 blackberry leaves, a dandelion leaf and 4 stems of long grass :p
Eats a timmy seed head but is still not really interested and looks uncomfortable and restless.

Time for some proper exercise madam! :no: She is SUCH a lazy bunny compared to her sisters. Get her out the shed door and shut it so there's no escape - we have running up and down the patio for a few mins - she is not happy :roll:

Then she sniffs the bunny loo and rubs her chin on it :p Finally twigs she needs a wee and does a massive one and some very bad looking poopies - but better than nowt! :p

Here's hoping she's over the worst of it now - she's in a major moult at the mo and the shed is full of her fur - looks like a snowstorm in there - and Zinniea scoffed her bromelain tablet night before last - I would have got her another if I'd known it was a matter of life or death :shock:

Hope she continues to improve.

Smokey is the same, very sedate is the nice way of putting it and very prone to stasis. I often wonder if it's linked.

yes I'm sure it's connected - if you sit on your bum all day you'll get constipated, so I'm constantly telling my son :lol: I have to nag son to go on the exercise machine and it's no different with bunnies - I do force Benny to run up and down by standing there like a dummy with his food dish - he'll run up to me to see if I'm stupid, then run back to his hutch twice :lol: mission accomplished! :p But I tend not to bother with the girls in the shed as it's roomy in there and I assume they all run about in there - but I bet Primrose just sits and watches while her sisters run about :roll: I shall have to start prodding madam with a pitchfork daily till she's done at least 2 circuits of the patio :?

lol good plan.... well the pitchfork might be a bit mean :lol::lol::lol::lol:

i only have to pretend to pick alvin up to get his little podgy self moving.. but from the kitchen to under the sofa dont really count for exercise :roll:

ahh right do you think i did the right thing taking mine to the vets or should i have done it myself like you?

ahh right do you think i did the right thing taking mine to the vets or should i have done it myself like you?

I've no idea - not read about yours so I hope it was OK :? and they are all different and it depends how confident you are treating it yourself really - I took my first bunny with stasis to the vets and he died, so I've always tried everything I could do instead - drinking water, carefully syringed if necessary, making them run about a bit, holding the pelvis a few seconds and sort of squeezing their tummy a bit, hand-feeding them temtpting stuff once they are recovering and looking alive again, etc. I'm sure one day it won't work and then I'll have to go to the vets with them, but I always give it a day/overnight and another day of this first, just to see - usually it's a bit of gas or hair mixed with food and stuck in a narrow bit of their gut, if they've not drunk enough or had bromelain tablets daily when moulting - moulting's a killer :(

ok it was his first time with gut stasis and i panicked a bit. as he had been fine is there anything i could do to prevent him from getting it again?

Oh good I'm glad he's OK now :D Just watch when they moult - try and pull as much hair as you can out by stroking them with damp hands, give them a bromelain tablet (40mg chewable from holland and barrett) or papaya tablet from a bunny suppliers every day during moult. Give them a splash of boiling water in their cold water and serve it in a dish not a bottle, fresh twice a day and put it in front of them as they do forget to drink like my son too :roll: Make sure they run about at least a couple times a day to keep their guts working well, not too many pellets, not too much veg, never leave veg or dry food about for them - if it's not eaten up, remove it - fresh hay twice a day - preferably coarse, stalky, long and greenish hay rather than the fine fluffy stuff - that's all I do with mine.

They do get problems if they don't exercise, so when it's been raining is a time to watch if they normally go outside for a run like mine do, and when it's hot and they're moulting, they get dehydrated, so check they are drinking and try and encourage them :)

thank you so much i didnt realise the moulting would affect it! i think that may have been the problem, i always get them in everyday for at least half an hour if its been a hectic day or 4 hours plus if its a stay at home day. thank you so much i feel lots more positive x

I know what you mean - I don't think I've ever experienced such stress as during bouts of bunny stasis. :shock:

Thanks Steph :wave: She's absolutely back to normal now - and I made her do a circuit of the patio at supper time so hoping she'll stay that way :D She's twigged I hold the food dish, whereas her sisters all pile out of the shed and run round the patio in excitement - she sits at my feet waiting like a puppy :lol: Benny's the same - he waits in his hutch for his supper but I call him over and then make him run back a couple of times - he must think I'm thick or a very slow walker :lol:

Back