• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Hamish/ update he's gone

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Last night when I checked him before I went to bed Hamish's face was soaking wet. He has a water bowl and lots of wiskers so it could have been from that, although in the weeks that I've had him I've never seen him with such a wet face before.

When I turned him over to dry his neck I found poo's on his bottom that are smaller than normal with a tiny bit of mucus with them.

Again this morning he is soaking wet and had similar poo's on his bottom. I tried to check his teeth as he has dental problems but his mouth is so full of saliva I couldn't make much out, so I assumed that is why he is so wet. He is booked in for a dental Tuesday anyway.

I've put him out in the run and now have seen him with his head in the water bowl, which I've not seen him do before.

So now I don't know whether he is wet from the bowl or from saliva :?
Would dental problems cause his poo's to be different? or have I got 2 different things going on here?

He seems lively enough, but I think I will see if I can get his dental done tomorrow rather than wait til Tuesday.
But then again if there is something else wrong with him should he be having a GA?

Last edited:
I am definitely no expert on dental problems (never experienced them), but it sounds like the 2 things are very much related to me. Any pain affects the digestive system. I'm not sure I'd wait till Tuesday, to be honest...

I've given him metacam and he does seem to be eating as well as he normally does.

I was more concerned about the mucus with his poos as I have not seen this before in just a dental bunny and was wondering if he was suddenly drinking more because of passing the mucus, even though it is only a tiny amount.

I will be ringing the vets first thing in the morning

Water and salvia smell and feel different. Rub some of the liquid between your fingers to see whether it's slimey (which will mean it's saliva), and have a good sniff - water doesn't smell, but saliva has a slightly yucky smell about it.

Good luck to Hamish xx

Water and salvia smell and feel different. Rub some of the liquid between your fingers to see whether it's slimey (which will mean it's saliva), and have a good sniff - water doesn't smell, but saliva has a slightly yucky smell about it.

Good luck to Hamish xx

Thanks, it does just seem like water and he is now getting stuck into his breakfast.

I wonder why he has suddenly started drinking do much and why his poos have changed if he is eating ok :?

Just this week my two girls are laying their faces right in their bowls. They are drenched.

This may be a mad idea, but it may be because it's been so hot recently.. they're trying to get their ears wet to help them cool down.. Like i say, might be competely wrong though!! :lol:

I would have thought so if it was the same temperature as it was earlier in the week but it is a lot cooler now and he wasn't drinking loads when it was hot. It only started last night :?

Hamish went in for his dental today and it's not good news.

He didn't have any spurs as most of his teeth are missing anyway. His bottom roots are coming through his jaw bone, which I knew about as I could feel them :( But his jaw bone is very badly infected with areas of pus and his gums are ulcerated and also have pus in them.

Unfortunately his outlook isn't good. He will be on pain relief and antibiotics when I collect him tomorrow. I just hope he will be able to eat something on his own, as by yesterday I was having to syringe feed him.

I know I have only had him a few weeks but I really want him to have some more quality time with me. It's great to see him binkying round the garden, and at 6 years old it might have been the first chance he has had to do them :(

So please send Hamish recovery vibes so that he can carry on binkying a little bit longer, thank you

Hamish went in for his dental today and it's not good news.

He didn't have any spurs as most of his teeth are missing anyway. His bottom roots are coming through his jaw bone, which I knew about as I could feel them :( But his jaw bone is very badly infected with areas of pus and his gums are ulcerated and also have pus in them.

Unfortunately his outlook isn't good. He will be on pain relief and antibiotics when I collect him tomorrow. I just hope he will be able to eat something on his own, as by yesterday I was having to syringe feed him.

I know I have only had him a few weeks but I really want him to have some more quality time with me. It's great to see him binkying round the garden, and at 6 years old it might have been the first chance he has had to do them :(

So please send Hamish recovery vibes so that he can carry on binkying a little bit longer, thank you

Poor wee man :cry:

Sending lots of vibes

Thank you.

It is so upsetting as it reminds me so much of Hawkbits problems :cry:

I just hope I can do more for Hamish than I was able to do for Hawkbit

Back