• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any recommended cat-flaps?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave:

Couldn't find previous thread on this one but I'd be grateful for link if anyone else knows it... I'm after a cat-flap that I can lock and also turn into a one-way system, so that in the evening it lets buns into the shed but won't let them out. It needs to be big enough for a conti giant though. Any help appreciated!

Hi,

I cant recommend a specific make as the one we have doesn't lock how you describe.

We have a dog flap though and the giants have no problem with it.

Hope you find one...

In spite of the recommendations to the contrary on the other thread, I have a catmate 221 for my cats, which is big enough for my 7kg lardy Geoffrey to use, without being ridiculously sized. I prefer them to staywell as you get a bigger flap for the overall size of flap - the staywell ones are oval shaped at the bottom so not as ergonomic. You can have that on both ways, one way or locked.

I'd also suggest maybe adding some hooks to the outside of the run either side of the flap and having a separate bar to pop down over the front of the flap at night for added security once they are all back indoors. I also used to have a catflap into my shed and I drilled a tiny hole in it and raised it up during the day, so that it allowed some air into the shed and never got stuck shut.

I prefer them to staywell as you get a bigger flap for the overall size of flap - the staywell ones are oval shaped at the bottom so not as ergonomic. You can have that on both ways, one way or locked.

I agree that the cat mate have better flaps, which is why I chose these in the first place.

The manufacturers have sent me some new clips so hopefully this will sort my problem out!

We've got this one which will lock one way, I don't know that it would be big enough for a giant though and not sure if they do other sizes.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8701143/Trail/searchtext>CAT+FLAP.htm

TBH, I have no idea when it comes to cat flaps/cat stuff but I wouldn't trust the locks alone. For the first couple of nights I could hear them boxing it to try and get into the run, and if I didn't put a big heavy rock on the outside, I think they could possibly barge their way through if they tried hard enough :?

TBH, I have no idea when it comes to cat flaps/cat stuff but I wouldn't trust the locks alone.

I'd agree - although if it's just a secondary safety mechanism which if they did get through they'd be in a secure run, it would be ok. It'd potentially be much more serious if the catflap went straight into the garden. There were two cats where I used to live who would ramraid my catflap to get into the house :shock:

Back