• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A couple of questions..

First off, what's the best way to wear down a house bunny's nails? Also, what's the best way to wean her off a mix (the only thing she's touched so far is Wagg bunny brunch, but she's eaten 98% of it)?

thanks! :wave:

Cut down the total amount of mix and gradually increase the ratio of pellets/mix.:) You'll probably have to trim her nails for her if she's an indoor bun.

Mine are all outside, and wear out their nails a bit on the patio, but to be honest I still have to trim them when they get long! So I can't help with that,
With the food slowly mix into her original food, the type of food you want her to move onto... at the moment, my two buns are moving from excel to Science Selective so I started of with a mix of 75% excel and 25 % SS, and slowly I have increased it so now they are on 75%ss and 25% excel, and in about a week all they will have is SS. I normally say to people who adopt bunnies take about 1-2 weeks over the whole process just take it slowly, but for my two I have taken over a month because my timmy has such a sensitive tummy, that things have to be changed ever so slowly!!

Thanks for the replies. I was really worried about her, cause when i got her, i got a bag of sciance selective, but she really hates it! She won't even look at it. If she's eating all of the mix, is it ok to keep her on it for a while? Shes not been with me long (only since wed), so I don't want to stress her out too much by changing lots of things at once.

use the old pellet mixture and gradually mix the new one in adding more each meal until you get to all of the new pellets. Remember only to use PLAIN pellets with no add-ins and fancy treats in it! :)

the guideline is:

1st week: 70% old pellet mix w/ 30% new pellets
2nd week: 50% and 50%
3rd wk: 30% old pellet mix w/ 70% new pellets
4th week: 100% new pellets

During these 4 weeks, you have to know that a rabbit over the age of 1.2 (a mature bun) should have 80% of his diet composed of timothy hay only. The remaining 20% is pellet, green, fruits, treats etc.

You don't want his whole diet to be pellet only for 4 weeks, because after that, it's very hard to change it to hay. Your bun will eat the pellets first in the first 6 hr. of the 24 hr. cycle, then the remaining 18 hr., he should be eating hay. (they always eat pellet first, I only have 1 bun who loves hay)

Use dremel rotary tool to sand down their nails once a mth., all hospital here uses dremel rotary tool set at low rpm., don't use nail clipper. I used to have nail clipper, I regret it deeply, accident can happen w/ nail clipper, Go to this web site and find out why:

www.peticure.com

i found that a nail clipper is fine as long as you know what you are doing and your bun will sit still or be wrapped and stay still.... if white nails dont cut past the pink line if black nails shine a torch and apply same technique....

regarding your other part of question the wagg bunny brunch is not the worst mix out there tho there are better pellet foods.... the bunny brunch is coated in all the vitimins etc so even if selective feed they do get all the vits/mins/goodness...in saying that the fibre content is only 10% and if rabbit not eating a lot of hay will need more in its diet so gently and slowly wean onto a pellet some buns prefer differnt brands....excel, science selective, wagg complete rabbit food , oxbow bunny basics and allen and page are all good.

Ohh thanks for the torch tip. Wondered how far to cut black toe nails :D

ensure you dont nick the red line this is a blood supply so give a decent amount to be sure! evidently if bun is wriggly i wouldnt try too much as you might slip with them.xx

Thanks for the replies every one, she does eat loads of hay and has constant acess to as much of it as she wants. I tried her on the bunny brunch because she wasn't eating anything other then hay, and i was worried about her getting the right amounts of vitamins and minerals, especially seeing how she's only 8 weeks old. I did originally get the Sciance Selective for her, but she just doesn't get that it's food. It's a shame you can't get trial sized packs of the Wagg and the Exel, as it seems a shame to buy a big bag of it because if they don't like it, you've got quite a lot of wasted food. I'm glad that I went for the bunny brunch over something like Russel rabbit food then, if it's all coated in vits and minerals.

hi

Yeah the main thing is aslong as she is eating. I wouldnt be that bothered about what she eats to be honest as you said she loves her hay. So you could just keep her on that and aslong as she keeps eating all her hay and greens etc shell be fine. My 2 are quite parky I bought all the expensive excell etc big bags for them to turn nose up. They only like p@h pellets weird but cheaper suppose.
Nails My web page has a step by step if you want to try it out and let me know how you get on.wwwhoppybunnyrabbit.com if not too long then just use a nail file now and then to keep on top of them.

Back