• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ozzy is getting worse.. any ideas what it is?! Sooz/Jane!!

Starlight

Warren Veteran
As you all know Ozzy has been deteriorating, he was a chunky bun but over the past month he has been drastically losing weight despite loving his food. He would drink over 500mls and just urinate it all out. He has had blood tests as the vet thought it was kidney related, turns out it is not. I have mentioned EC and coccicidiosis (sp?) and the vet said i would have noticed changes in his faeces by now :S

She wants to go along the "GA for a full look at his molars and x rays of his organs" way. Which i dont see as necessary. Like they are clutching at straws.

Today i have noticed he has lost some of the fur on his ears. Can anyone make sense of these symptoms?

I have booked him in yet again for Monday at 4:45pm to see if this can give the vet the clue she needs as to what it is.

Last edited:
I have mentioned EC and coccicidiosis (sp?) and the vet said i would have noticed changes in his faeces by now :S

Oh no, poor bun :cry: Have to say I don't necessarily agree with your vet on this - EC doesn't really affect their faeces and I have known buns with diagnosed coccidiosis who have had perfectly normal poos throughout. In fact there have been cases on here where I've told people I've suspected cocci and subsequently been proved right - but again their vets had reassured them that it couldn't possibly be that.

Ozzy lives with a partner doesn't he? How long have they been together? I'm wondering if maybe his partner is an asymptomatic carrier of whatever it is, hence she isn't getting unwell (is she still well?) Are all your other bunnies eating and drinking normally without any weight loss?

Could the fur loss be caused by his partner grooming him, to comfort her poorly friend? Also, have a good look through the fur and see if you can see any flakey 'dandruff' looking bits. This can be a sign of fur mites and often happens when they are feeling run down and unwell, so it could be that causing the fur loss.

Oh no, poor bun :cry: Have to say I don't necessarily agree with your vet on this - EC doesn't really affect their faeces and I have known buns with diagnosed coccidiosis who have had perfectly normal poos throughout. In fact there have been cases on here where I've told people I've suspected cocci and subsequently been proved right - but again their vets had reassured them that it couldn't possibly be that.

Ozzy lives with a partner doesn't he? How long have they been together? I'm wondering if maybe his partner is an asymptomatic carrier of whatever it is, hence she isn't getting unwell (is she still well?) Are all your other bunnies eating and drinking normally without any weight loss?

Could the fur loss be caused by his partner grooming him, to comfort her poorly friend? Also, have a good look through the fur and see if you can see any flakey 'dandruff' looking bits. This can be a sign of fur mites and often happens when they are feeling run down and unwell, so it could be that causing the fur loss.

Yes i said that to her yet she still wanted to do x rays and check his molars under a ga. As far as i know, they have been together a looong time, at least two years, and she is perfectly fine. All buns living near them are all normal and showing no symptoms, i did notice a three specks of dandruff at the base of one ear.

Hmmmmmmm tricky one :?
Whilst I agree with Alison that EC is a possibility any renal involvement is usually only symptomatic in an advanced stage when you'd expect a blood test for U+Es to indicate renal imparement :?

I have had Dental Buns whose only symptom has been weightloss and excessive drinking ( and consequently excessive urination ). So I would not dismiss your Vets opinion entirely.

Is Ozzy on Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) ? I would think it would be a good idea anyway.

The fur loss may be the result of the canular that was put in his ear vein to get a blood sample

:)

I had kinda the same thing happen to my tiffany, turned out to be stomach tumor. Sorry i'm no help :( Hope Ozzy is ok

I would also suggest bloods for e.c. and eating lots while still loosing weight can unfortunately be an indication of some kind of cancer.:(
I would think further blood tests would be preferable before going for a GA

I really hope your vet gets to the bottom of it and it turns out to be something relatively simple that can easily be treated :)

Hmmmmmmm tricky one :?
Whilst I agree with Alison that EC is a possibility any renal involvement is usually only symptomatic in an advanced stage when you'd expect a blood test for U+Es to indicate renal imparement :?

I have had Dental Buns whose only symptom has been weightloss and excessive drinking ( and consequently excessive urination ). So I would not dismiss your Vets opinion entirely.

Is Ozzy on Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) ? I would think it would be a good idea anyway.

The fur loss may be the result of the canular that was put in his ear vein to get a blood sample

:)

He isnt but i am going to ask for him to be put on it on monday and possiby all other buns as they are all outside.

The blood test was taken from his paw as they found it hard to take bloods from him (said he didnt seem to have much blood in his veins as it was only coming out a drip at a time :S)

I can pick him up one handed no problem now, he has virtually no stomach, i shall take some pictures, this is him when he was well, (he has the black nose)

d69dfc4f.jpg

Here is some pictures i took of Ozzy yesterday

007-10.jpg

008-10.jpg

009-12.jpg

010-9.jpg

And his ears, that i noticed and mentioned yesterday
011-10.jpg

Hi, is his breathing normal, I have a bun with breathing problems and he is very thin. I would think an ultrasound scan, rather than an x-ray would be more useful for checking his organs. I suppose you could test for coccidiosis by sending off a faecal sample and get a blood test for Ec. The baldness in the ear isn't from the vets trying to find a vein is it, my Smokey has a baldy ear since the vets took bloods, its never grown back.
The problem, I find is that vets work through one thing at a time, whereas i like to get all the tests done straight away so you know from the start what you are dealing with. I think it is because most people don't want to pay out a lot of money for tests, if the first one shows something. I usually find, by the time I've waited for all the test to be done, the animal is weaker and I've paid out even more money!
hope you find out what is wrong, good luck.

Hi, is his breathing normal, I have a bun with breathing problems and he is very thin. I would think an ultrasound scan, rather than an x-ray would be more useful for checking his organs. I suppose you could test for coccidiosis by sending off a faecal sample and get a blood test for Ec. The baldness in the ear isn't from the vets trying to find a vein is it, my Smokey has a baldy ear since the vets took bloods, its never grown back.
The problem, I find is that vets work through one thing at a time, whereas i like to get all the tests done straight away so you know from the start what you are dealing with. I think it is because most people don't want to pay out a lot of money for tests, if the first one shows something. I usually find, by the time I've waited for all the test to be done, the animal is weaker and I've paid out even more money!
hope you find out what is wrong, good luck.

Hi, his breathing IS normal, i will mention the ultra sound scan as he has a vet appointment today at 4:45pm, i will re-mention EC ansd coccidiosis as when i said it on the phone, she dismissed them. I agree about the one thing at a time, but i dont agree they should as while they are taking their time, they have an animal deteriorating!

Please can i have vibes for Ozzys vet appointment!

Oh dear! Lots of vibes for Ozzy. Incase you didn't know you can buy panacur at P@H or onlibe if your vet doesn't give you any.

I really don't see why they would delay starting him on it...

Sending loads of vibes for Ozzy.i hope that your vet gets to the bottom of whats wrong with him.

Oh dear! Lots of vibes for Ozzy. Incase you didn't know you can buy panacur at P@H or onlibe if your vet doesn't give you any.

I really don't see why they would delay starting him on it...

After me persisting they told me to put him on a 9 day course and if that makes a difference do the rest of the course :? though to be honest i am just going to do the whole course. I am going to buy Lapizole online, in 100ml bottles, need to work out how many i need though as i am putting all the other buns on 9 day courses. Since he was last seen he has lost another 0.10kgs

Back