• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cage rest after castration - how long?

Alice's mum

Warren Scout
Hello!

George (age 4 months) was castrated yesterday and to be honest I don't think he has even noticed! Unlike Alice (who was very poorly after spaying0, George was eating, pooing and moving around straight away.

I kept Alice and George indoors last night but it is such a sunny day I would love to put them in the run. Is it too soon to let George run about? I remember Alice was on cage rest for a few days before I let her run free!

Thank you in advance for any advice:)

I had Paddy neutered yesterday too! He hasn't dealt with it as well as yours though so I'm keeping him in today & tonight, though he has the run of a room, then he's back outside tomorrow. Our vet recommended 24/48 hrs rest depending on how well they are eating & going to the toilet.

my vet told me to keep Alvin quiet and caged for two weeks.. altho i sneakily let him out after the first check up which was about 4 days later i think :oops:

I just had Rain spayed two days ago.. the day after her spay she had full run of her cage, that night she also had her usual playtime around the house. Every bun' is different, if they seem to be feeling fine i dont see any problem with letting them out to play like usual.

i dont remember gumpy having cage rest, i just made sure he didnt jump up onto things and stuff as didnt want to risk it but the castration didnt bother him physically

A rabbit, male or female but especially female should be put on bed rest for seven days after being neutered, the reason for this is that rabbits can herniate, it is extremely painful and distresing for the bunny if this happens not to mention horrendously expensive and risky for the operation to put it right.

Thank you all for your advice.

I have decided to keep him in for a bit longer as even though he is eating, pooing and moving around this afternoon he seems more sleepy. Perhaps it is a delayed reaction to his anaesthetic. He is currently stretched out on a big pillow I put in the cage for him!

Daisykinn1 - I hope Paddy is okay. I have a terrible 24 hours after I had Alice spayed as she wasn't eating or pooing but she pulled through and was fine. I'm sure Paddy will be too.:)

Hi Alice's Mum,

I spent weeks stressing about it, even losing sleep over it before We had ours done about 4-5 weeks ago, I think someone mentioned it depends on the individual rabbit too, some bounce back quicker than others, but they all seem to bounce back pretty quick (considering)..:shock:

We kept ours in his pen for 3 days, then I let him out for longer and longer each day. I slept downstairs with him the first night to keep an eye on him as his temp was low and he was shivering, this seems rare but i think it was the reaction to the GA..and perhaps stress from the vets and the op etc, he also decided to sleep in his tray which he never normally does, so I kept him covered with a soft blanky and he seemed to stop shivering, he was eating and drinking but not as much as he usually does.

The vet told me to just put paper in his tray and no hay for a few days in case he spiked himself, so I shredded loads of old newspaper up and put that on top of flat sheets.

Anyway the next day he was much more spritely, and then by evening he was rattling the bars on his pen so I knew he was ready to come out, he still wanted to jump and climb etc so I had to kind of discourage him for a few more days and try and keep him on the floor.. and now hes a still a little monster, just not an aggressive little monster, and he no longer washes the couch with his umm....

Soo..

He will soon be bouncing round everywhere:) I'm sure hes in good hands:)

M

Back