• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning: Ferplast Style Indoor Cages, Please Read.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Cross Posted:

This warning is not intended to scare owners nor to dissuade them from using these cages but simply to point out a couple of safety issue's which should be addressed for the sake of your rabbits wellbeing. Ferplast style cages are extremely useful as an indoor housing source being attractive and easy to clean but please bare these points in mind before housing your rabbits in them.

1.The side door.

The standard opening mechanism is for the wire door to open downwards. This would not be a problem except that house rabbits are often encouraged to jump in and out of the cage on their own. We have heard several reports of rabbits limbs becoming entangled in the door causing fractures and other injuries, some of which have lead to an amputation being necessary.

We advise that owners using these cages in this manner use a pair of pliers to remove the door and then either re-hang it from the top of the cage door frame so the door opens upwards (and can be secured open with a peg if needed), remove the door permenantly or simply remove the door when the rabbit is exercising, as if the hooks that function as hinges are left 'open' the door reattatches and closes repeatedly without issue's.

2.The top door.

A hidden danger with a slightly more traumatic outcome. Please ensure that the upper door is always secured shut by it's hooks, all the time. We have heard of rabbits persicoping, pushing the door upwards with their heads and then trying to retract them and becoming stuck. This in effect leaves the rabbits hanging and either suffocates them or if they struggle, breaks the neck. It can only take a few seconds of unattended time for this to happen, please don't take the risk. It is also not unheard of for rabbits to escape from an unsecured lid.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, it could save somebuns life.

I have an indoor cage with a downward opening front door and I have covered and secured it with cardboard to make a little ramp instead so they can't get their little legs caught :)

Thanks for cross posting this for people.

My rex rabbit wouldn't even jump out the door.. don't know if it has something to do with this or just his at-that-time current habit of not moving much at all, so I ended up just removing the cage and put him in a run with a litter box instead (that was also because I hated trying to sleep with him bouncing around on the plastic floor:lol:)

Thanks for posting Sooz. Had heard of the side door problems and when Ed was using his cage I did use a folded carpet square as a ramp to make sure all the grids were covered. He would run in and out at such a pace, I reckon he could quite easily have been a statistic. He's moved to a dog crate now and I much prefer that tbh. Still got the Ferplast though for emergencies, in case anybun needs nursing care, but also now mindful of the overhead potential risk. Thanks.:D

thanks for postin ghtis very useful info, i gave my cousin my bunnies old cage when i got ours a dog crate i told her to keep the wire door wooden cover on and explained why, and advised her to put something on top of the cage too incase bunny jumps on it

lisa

Thanks for posting this sooz.

The hay experts seel some grass mats which can be put over the door to save getting feet trapped in them.

Back