• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

should I worm my rabbits?

xShellx

Alpha Buck
I have never wormed my rabbits. they are 16 months and 6 month old giants. Is it somthing I sohuld be doing even though they apear healthy. Also the 5g paste is that enough for a 9 day course for a 4.5 kg and 3kg bun. Shell

Each tube of paste contains 18 graduations and you need 1 graduation per 2.5kg of weight per day. So you will need 2 graduations per day for each rabbit, meaning 18 graduations for the 9 day course, so you will need 2 tubes. Good luck getting them to take it, I can't :(

Yes, worm them. My rabbit died of suspected EC so now mine will be wormed twice yearly. You can now buy panacur from P&H I noticed yesterday, cheaper than from the vets.

As for rabbits not taking it, don't give them the option. Tuck them under your arm, insert the syringe in the side of their mouth and administer. They might not like it, but it's necessary imo...

Yes - worm them. I use Panacur Liquid (10%) for cats and dogs as it's a much cheaper option and the amount of fluid they have to take is minimal. The dosage is 0.2ml per kg - you'll need to use a small syringe for administering it and as per the above post, I don't give mine an option. I kneel on the floor, plonk them on my lap with their body kind of under one arm, using the hand of the same arm to hold their head. Then with the free hand, I just slip the syringe into the side of their mouth and, hey presto - one medicated bunny! It's not always that easy though - I'm currently on day 22 of a 6 week course - some days they just sit there and let you do it and others they wriggle like a slippery eel.

I believe my two are half-wild and they are extremely hard to hold just for a bit of brushing, I simply can not hold them still with just one hand.

Can someone else help? It's definitely much easier if one person has both hands on the bun and the other syringes medicine in (using the other hand to hold the head steady). It's usually a 2 person job here, although Dusty is so used to medicine now, I can do it on my own if needed.

I think the Pancuar (sorry for spelling) paste must taste nice because both of mine took it readily. However, I slit open a few raisins and squeezed the paste into them instead of fighting to put the tube in their mouths everyday!

The dosage my very rabbit-savvy vet recommends with 10% Panacur for e-c is 0.5 ml per kg and a 28 day course.

I have recently had to worm some fosters for pinworms and that is a totally different regime altogether: you start by administering it for 3 days on the trot, you have to repeat the dose on one day every three months during the summer months and you have to do it for 2 years!!! He says the problem with the cycle is getting rid of the F1 generation....little pests!!! Also, they would have contaminated the grass so every bun in the household has to be done!!! :roll:

Last edited:
All six of our buns will take Panacur happily ... squirt it onto a piece of spring greens ... wrap it up ... and they gobble it down, no problem :D Good luck! Definitely worth worming them ... helps put your mind at rest a bit about EC. x

I have recently had to worm some fosters for ringworms and that is a totally different regime altogether: you start by administering it for 3 days on the trot, you have to repeat the dose on one day every three months during the summer months and you have to do it for 2 years!!! He says the problem with the cycle is getting rid of the F1 generation....little pests!!! Also, they would have contaminated the grass so every bun in the household has to be done!!! :roll:

Do you mean pinworms? Ringworm is (confusingly!) a fungal infection.

:oops: Sorry Sarah, yes I do mean pinworms!!! Doh!!!! :roll:

I will edit the post so as to avoid confusing anyone!!! Thanks! :)

I was wondering about worming my bunnies! how often do you need to give them panacur because every day will stress mine out too much. they hate getting medicine!!!

Thanks

The dosage my very rabbit-savvy vet recommends with 10% Panacur for e-c is 0.5 ml per kg and a 28 day course.

Wow - that's way more than is normally used, isn't it? That might explain why the damn thing never seems to be eradicated! :shock::?

I was wondering about worming my bunnies! how often do you need to give them panacur because every day will stress mine out too much. they hate getting medicine!!!

Thanks

If you're giving panacur as a precaution (ie not for active EC) then you need to dose them for 9 days. 2 - 4 times a year.

I decided to dose my buns but have been dreading it (thought it would be a battle) but got some today and all 3 of mine took it on a piece of bread... in fact a small amount of it fell off Artie's bread and he licked it up so not to miss it!!

Flo was an absolute nightmare to get panacur into so I tried wrapping parsley around it and putting it inside a bit of carrot, She readily has it that way. Good luck!

:wave:Hi Alison :wave: Things are not too bad here at the Palace :lol: I had a scare with one of my Dutch today but she is fine now.....I am looking after a neighbour's bun who has had his eye removed and is a real poppet. :love: I have a couple of new additions.....Rosebud, who got spayed in June and was subsequently paired with Rupert, the most wonderful little grey Nethie who weighs around 900 grams!!!! My Florence also had her eye removed in April and for such a creaking gate has done wonderfully well. :D I lost Hamish in January for whom I still grieve but Bella now has a new partner, Pedro, who is a young tinker! :lol: Everyone else seems to be doing really well at the moment, touch wood!!! :roll::D

:wave:Hi Alison :wave: Things are not too bad here at the Palace :lol: I had a scare with one of my Dutch today but she is fine now.....I am looking after a neighbour's bun who has had his eye removed and is a real poppet. :love: I have a couple of new additions.....Rosebud, who got spayed in June and was subsequently paired with Rupert, the most wonderful little grey Nethie who weighs around 900 grams!!!! My Florence also had her eye removed in April and for such a creaking gate has done wonderfully well. :D I lost Hamish in January for whom I still grieve but Bella now has a new partner, Pedro, who is a young tinker! :lol: Everyone else seems to be doing really well at the moment, touch wood!!! :roll::D

LIZZIE !!!

*does happy dance*

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Back