• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

home checks - why so nerve-wracking?!

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Can I start by saying I 100% agree with home checks when any animal is rehomed. However the thought of them terrifies me! I somehow feel that they are looking for a perfect home and that I'm going to be 'found out' or am going to fail! Does everyone get like this? I was checked for my rescue piggies and it was fine but then again, that was a small scale rescue just run from the woman's home and she didn't question me or anything, just checked the hutch etc. If I ever get any more bunnies/piggies I fully intend to try to get them from a rescue but the thought of the home check makes me nervous!

Has anyone ever 'failed' a home check and if so what for?

oh golly ... you shouldnt be nervous ...its a chance to work through any problem areas ... think of it as a possitive experience :D

i felt the same... i was terrified i was doing something wrong with alvin and not only would they say no but also take him off me :oops::oops:

oh and my para didnt end there, when i put them into boarding in june (at hopper haven where i got pearl from) i was convinced something would make them take pearl back off me :oops:

My mum refuses to have home checks, she says she doesnt like people judging her. I pretty much feel the same but i know we look after our animals and there accomodation and such is fine, so i don't really know why the thought of them worries me

i dont mind home checks i was wiling to have one done with tigger but the rspca desided not ot do a homecheck as i went to vist him evryday :D

but i wouldent want to be judged and checked so i would be not happy with one at the same time

Homechecks aren't about judging or checking up on people, just checking the conditions are right for that animal. Rescues have every right to be as picky as they want with all the time, effort and money they put into animals why should they settle for anything below their standards?

I have done homechecks and it isn't often an outright no, usually if something isn't right advice will be given to find a compramise.

Having said that I was nervous being homechecked :D

It is awful when someone obviously fails and they already have a bun :oops:

I think it would be pretty hard for any genuine person to fail. if anything is wrong they will advise you first and offer advice on how to put it right. It is about educating rather than saying a straight no.
As long as you are willing to correct any problem areas (if there are any) there won't be a problem.
I can only imagine that any straight no's are people that are unwilling to change, or people that already have animals that are clearly in a bad state.

Homechecks aren't about judging or checking up on people, just checking the conditions are right for that animal. Rescues have every right to be as picky as they want with all the time, effort and money they put into animals why should they settle for anything below their standards?

I have done homechecks and it isn't often an outright no, usually if something isn't right advice will be given to find a compramise.

Having said that I was nervous being homechecked :D

It is awful when someone obviously fails and they already have a bun :oops:

Agree with all that - I was still super nervous though - I think its because people who love their animals a lot dont want to find out theyve inadvertantly not been doiung the right thing by them even if its a genuine mistake

I've had home checks in the past and I know what you mean. Even though I knew the bunnies would have a great home I was still nervous.

Even now when i know the vet is doing a home visit I spring clean the house, even though I know the chances of her running her fingers along the mantel piece, finding dust and declaring me unfit to keep bunnies is slim :lol::lol::lol:

Agree with all that - I was still super nervous though - I think its because people who love their animals a lot dont want to find out theyve inadvertantly not been doiung the right thing by them even if its a genuine mistake

I agree. I haven't had to have a home check yet, but will hopefully be getting a rescue bun in the near future as company for Alfie so will have to have one. I *think* my set up is ok but would hate to find out it wasn't and know that I've been keeping Alfie in it. :? I completely understand the need for home checks though and they can only be a good thing. :)

Yes I was scared when I had one:oops: but hey-ho they have to be done. Its such a high after though because someone with so much rabbit knowledge(or other animal) has trusted you to be a good bunny owner :love:

I've had two - one with the RSPCA and I was a bundle of nerves but the home checker told me before she left that she would recommend I took the rabbit as it would be in "luxury accommodation". She did have to step over the barrier from the house as Totti was loose in the garden.

The second was with a rescue I used to help out at. To be honest, my hutch is below minimum size i.e. 5x2x2 but when she saw how much free time they had and what they had free time in, she compromised which is fair enough.

I'm sorry but I don't think I'd have taken it well had I been refused... Leo pride and all that :oops: (common sense doesn't come into it :oops: )

I have been homechecked and done homechecks, both sides are terrifying. I would encourage everyone to go for it, whoever homechecks you is likely to be as nervous as you are - and you're very unlikely to "fail". Most rescues, if there is something not quite right, will tell you what you need to do to be able to adopt. So it's not pass/fail really!!!

Back