• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

protecting bunnies from predators

after reading about a fox eating a member's rabbit, I am now really worried for mine

I hate the idea of my babies cooped up in a hutch/greenhouse/shed all day during nice weather

I was thinking, even if they were in a shed with a run, or a hutch, wouldn't a determined foxy still be able to chew through the wire and get at them ? They would be trapped

Would it be better for them if they had a bolthole in their own run where they could hide from predators, such as if I made a brick burrow under their hutch, with multiple exits

What do others think ?

You will need a completely fox proof run :) Not sure if there is such a thing because I dont need to worry about foxes but im sure other members have fox proof enclosures :)

Do you mean a burrow under the ground? :) Unless its something you can open up to get to the bun if you need too I personally wouldnt do anything like that just incase the bun because ill or injured and you could not get to them x

All of my bunnies have access to an attached run to their hutch 24/7. They are able to have free access because the runs are substantially made and totally secure.

They need to be made from solid timber, with weld mesh (not chicken wire) attached using U shaped nails. Using just staples isn't secure as the can be pulled out quite easily.

Weld mesh is strong enough to see off chewing bunnies or foxes.

The runs should have a secure lid that will be strong enough if an animal jumps on the top and should be fixed by way of a hasp and staple or hinges etc.

The run should either be on hard standing so that bunnies can't dig out and predators can't dig in, or on grass provided that they have weld mesh or similar on the bottom too.

All of these in my opinion provide enough security to see off a fox.:D

Last edited:
Mine have 24/7 access to shed and run too. Both run's are underwired with weldmesh and have turf ontop. One's built with security fencing and the other's a standard timber built run but it's sturdy timber, screwed together (not nailed or stapled) and the lid is hinged and secured with locking hasps. I'm sure if a fox was REALLY determined, it could probably get in eventually but I'm prepared to take the risk in order for my buns to have the freedom they deserve. I've done everything possible to ensure they are as safe as I can make them and that's good enough for me.

Back