• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A rabbit that poo and wee smells.

twinks22

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone:wave: this is twinks22 mum. I've got a rescued mini lop, that I had off someone who didn't want her anymore. When she came to me I didn't know she was pregnant anyhow she had three babies and they all died, and she has a bad time, when she had the babies she became very poorly and had a very high temperature, the vet said she had a very bad infection in her uterus. She wasn't in control of her wee and poo, and the smell was terrible. The vets gave her Baytril for 10 days which she has now finished. She's a lot more lively in herself, running around in the run and cleaning herself. But her poo is still not right, it smell's strong and is like a cow pat, and her wee is still coming out of her and she smells terrible and is sore round her vulva. My husband took her back to the vet today and her temperature has gone down, and the vet just said to give her time for everything to go back into place and it will sort it self out. The vet said there was nothing she could give her to help her poo and wee. I've got some avipro plus that I could put in her water. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do and whether the vet was right in what she said. I've had other rabbits that have been pregnant but they've never had problems with their bowels/bladder. She is such a sweet rabbit, I just want to get her better, so if anyone knows of anything I can give her to help her, please could you let me know. Many thanks.:)

Sorry to hear about your girlie - I have no experience myself. What does she sleep on - have you tried to make it as irritable-free?

x x

A strong smelling urine can be indicative of renal issue's, but from what you have described it sounds like she may have had an infection in her GI tract which has upse her tummy. On the other hand has the vet ruled out a uterine infection such as pyometra?

Hi Sooz, The vet said she had an infection in her uterus, so I don't know, I can only go on what the vet said, her poo isn't as bad today, but she still smells down below, she's all yellow, we've tried washing her with rabbit shampoo, but it want come off, she's eating and drinking ok so I suppose that's a good sign, the thing is now I've got another rabbit, they both came from the same person, and this rabbit had dead babies as well and she seems to be having the same problems now, I feel a bit out of my depth to be honest with you, because I've never had this situation, so I don't know whether I'm blowing it all out of proportion. But the other rabbit is wee is just running out of her now. The thing is it doesn't look like wee, its thick and yellow thick stuff thats coming from the rabbits vulva. I just want to get them better so I can get them spayed and get them rehomed so they can enjoy life better than what they have done so far. It does sound though like what you said a GI tract infection, I'll just have to see how they go. The vet didn't mention anything about pyometra, hopefully I've spelt that right. Thanks for replying back to me, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back