• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heavy breathing

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Hi all
What does it mena if a rabbit is breathing heavily? I have noticed that Flo seems to breathe very quickly most of the time - is this normal or am I being paranoid? Her breathing can be so heavy that it moves her whole body at times? I don't think it is related to a stressful incident becaue she can be like this when she is just chilling out in front of the fire (she is an indoor bun). Could it mean that she is too hot or something like that?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hiya, have you taken her to a vets for a general health check.

Heavy breathing can be a whole aray of things from heat, fright to something more sinister like a collapsed lung.

How heavy is the breathing? and how often?

She could be warm. You could cool her down by giving her a frozen bottle to lie near or a fan.

If it sounds rattly or looks like bun is struggling to breathe - I'd take to vets. I have a bun with a hay allergy - so you could change hay, or check you use dust-free stuff - & no shavings etc:D

I've just checked on her and she was breathing more normally. I have put a bottle in the fridge for her later. She also seems to breathe more heavily when she having a fuss - why is this?
Sorry about all the questins. I am still learning lots about bunnies and like to know all the reasons for things happening.
Thank you for your help :)

Thanks for raising this question sam:)

Im in the same boat as you and wondering the same thing, sometimes ours breathes so fast it's almost like he's vibrating sort of thing, and like yours sometimes when he's chilling too..

I noticed before his neuter he would only really breathe like this when he got all hormonal and fired up chasing his teddy (if you know what I mean) but he still does it 4 weeks after his neuter and yet he doesn't get all fired up now..

I'm not sure what the normal respitory rate is for bunnies or how to check it etc. so I will stay tuned to this post in the hope someone can shed some more light on it.

Thanks

Martin

i put frozen bottles of water in a towel down for my boys & i put a fan out side their run when its hot, has when its hot ive noticed they breath very heavy, Honey was an house rabbit & i used a few fans in all the rooms to cool her down then i brought an air con for her lol (every 1 thought i was mad) but it worked a dream lol good luck with flo & ask away there is always someone here to help you sam x

I'll try the cool water bottle idea as I've only noticed it recently and we have had a bit of a hot spell. Thanks guys! :D

is it a med to large size bun? They are much more susceptible to heat. Spray water on the outside of their ear (the fur side), their antenna is designed to radiate heat, so as much cool water spray as possible, 6 times per day

Back