PDA

View Full Version : Dog crates

Mazda
01-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey all.

Im trying to persuade my mum to let Pebble live indoors (does anyone have any tips so mum will let her live in the house?:lol:) and ive been looking on ebay and 42" dog crates. (a 48" wont fit) Ive seen this 42" (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/42-Dog-Puppy-Crate-Cage-Carrier-car-cages-GIFTS-607_W0QQitemZ360073401484QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 60073401484&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318) crate and im not sure about it. I mean its 99p with ten pound postage, is it too cheap? what do you think the quality will be like?

I dont know if it will be happening yet, but i am just looking around. x

FriskyClover
01-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I got mine from this seller: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/peteurope_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

The quality is excellent and they're very well priced.

Mazda
01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
:D thanks for the link
they are well priced :D xx

donnamt
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
looks good hun.... and the metal tray is nice and cool in this heat :)

Mazda
01-08-2008, 02:24 PM
looks good hun.... and the metal tray is nice and cool in this heat :)

Wont it be sharp tho?

FriskyClover
01-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Wont it be sharp tho?

The corners are a little sharp but as they fit into the corners of the crate, they're not a problem. I always put hay in mine when the rabbits come in the house in theirs.

donnamt
01-08-2008, 02:28 PM
i dont think they can be sharp hun, they are made for dogs... i have a mat in mine but alvin still lies in the corner that has no cover :roll::lol::lol::lol:

ill take a pic if you like? and when i get rid of the crate im going to keep the tray in the new cage just for Alvin :D

Mazda
01-08-2008, 02:29 PM
i dont think they can be sharp hun, they are made for dogs... i have a mat in mine but alvin still lies in the corner that has no cover :roll::lol::lol::lol:

ill take a pic if you like? and when i get rid of the crate im going to keep the tray in the new cage just for Alvin :D

Oh yes please

donnamt
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
the crate i have is the 42" hagen one so i cant say what other ones are like.

the corner isnt sharp i have just run my fingers over it and i cant see how a bunny could get hurt.... bet alvin proves me wrong now :shock:

most is covered with litter trays and a mat

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z121/donnamt/P8010030.jpg

alvins corner when he wants to be cooler

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z121/donnamt/P8010031.jpg

eta - it is quite slippy so thats why most is covered :)

Mazda
01-08-2008, 02:42 PM
thats great :) x

so a 42" will be big enough for one bun? x

I think haveing her indoors may be cheaper in the long run... cause we wont have to buy woodshavings! :lol: another point to tell mum! :D x

edit: yea i would cover it with mats :D x

donnamt
01-08-2008, 02:51 PM
i think people do use just crates for buns, i added a pen to mine because i wanted Alvin to have as much space as possible when i wasnt there to give him free range and i wanted a 2nd bun too.. i know some people add shelves so they have extra floor space :)

Mazda
01-08-2008, 02:57 PM
aw cool. :)
She would only be init at night & when im at school (thats if it happens) I would let her have the run of my room once ive blocked of the wires when we are home, as she is litter trained :)

I just hope mum lets her come inside, cause with her being outside even though i spend alot of time out there with her i dont feel its enough and if she got ill or whatever and i didnt notice. Do you know what i mean? x

Letichia
01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
aw cool. :)
She would only be init at night & when im at school (thats if it happens) I would let her have the run of my room once ive blocked of the wires when we are home, as she is litter trained :)

I just hope mum lets her come inside, cause with her being outside even though i spend alot of time out there with her i dont feel its enough and if she got ill or whatever and i didnt notice. Do you know what i mean? x

I don't want to hijack the thread, But how did you get Pebble litter trained?
I want to litter train my two but am unsure of how to do it!

Mazda
01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread, But how did you get Pebble litter trained?
I want to litter train my two but am unsure of how to do it!

She choose a corner of her hutch to be her toilet and i put a litter tray there :) Shes fab at uiseing her tray, i bought her in the house for the day the other day and she was running round the kitchen for hours and didnt pee or on the floor once.. she went to her box :D x

Letichia
01-08-2008, 03:08 PM
She choose a corner of her hutch to be her toilet and i put a litter tray there :) Shes fab at uiseing her tray, i bought her in the house for the day the other day and she was running round the kitchen for hours and didnt pee or on the floor once.. she went to her box :D x

Thanks, will put their litter tray in the corner where they currently go to the toilet. Do you just put hay in her litter tray or everywhere in her hutch? xx

Mazda
01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks, will put their litter tray in the corner where they currently go to the toilet. Do you just put hay in her litter tray or everywhere in her hutch? xx

I put hay in her tray and in her hay rackat the other end of her hutch, in the winter i put it all over her hutch :D x

Letichia
01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you, think i will do the same. Do you think they will be okay sleeping on a blanket??

donnamt
01-08-2008, 03:11 PM

i know exactly what you mean, id not keep rabbits if they lived outside all our pets live in the house with us :D

Mazda
01-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Thank you, think i will do the same. Do you think they will be okay sleeping on a blanket??

Yea i dont see why not :) x
I put a blanket in pebbles hutch in the winter... but she put lots of holes init so i took it out :) If they are used to a blanket id keep it in there :) x

Mazda
01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
i know exactly what you mean, id not keep rabbits if they lived outside all our pets live in the house with us :D

:D i want her in the house sooo much, but i havent asked mum yet. lol, i will over tea :) x

Letichia
01-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Yea i dont see why not :) x
I put a blanket in pebbles hutch in the winter... but she put lots of holes init so i took it out :) If they are used to a blanket id keep it in there :) x

Thank you so much for your advice very helpful:), I will be keeping their blanket in the hutch as Bella loves it but Freddie just sleeps any where! I am hoping to llitter train them as i am having to clean their whole hutch out twice a day. They are going to the toilet in every corner!

Freddie and Bella live inside too but we keep them in a hutch because its bigger for them when i put them in a night.

Letichia x

louise and Gus
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I have my buns indoors, I think a dog crate is great as a base for the buns but I still think they are a little small to spend a lot of time in, especially when you think bunnies are most active at night so you would be locking her up at the time she wants to run around most. I think if you could have a pen attached to it it would be much better :D

Mazda
01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
i do have a pen :)
i could attach it to the crate :)

thats if it all happens :D x