• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies meeting for the 1st time... Very upset!

Sugarbunny

Warren Scout
I had an awful experience last night letting 2 of our buns meet properly for the first time.

We have bought a new run to move about on the grass, and put Angel in it. She was quite happy... until my husband got in and put Merry in with her. While Merry was on his lap they were okay, but as soon as he put Merry on the grass, she and Angel flew at each other and fur went flying. Needless to say, We separated them immediately!:(

I thought that if you put them together in a 'neutral' area they would probably be okay... Does this ruin any future hope of ever getting them to be friends, or even tolerate each other?

Fur flying is completely normal. Only seperate them if they draw blood. They're only finding out who's dominant.

I agree with Spider. It is a shame though, but don't give up I bet they will be fine given time to adjust.

:) Right. If she's lunging at him, try maybe itroducing them to a tiny room in your house (or the smallest) and then they can get to see eachother blah blah blah and then the run. Fur flying, lunging and all that is normal, ONLY seperate them if they're drawing blood and are actually fighting.
Are they both neutured/spayeed?

Also don't be seen to be petting one, as I have one bun who gets jealous if I pet her boyfriend & growls at him or me:lol:

I found bonding in the bathroom was good, the tiled floor made it difficult for them to fight and they soon settled down. With normal rabbits they would have been bonded there and then but Arthur is a little 'special' and decided he didn't like her a week later! :roll:

:) Fur flying, lunging and all that is normal, ONLY seperate them if they're drawing blood and are actually fighting.

Hi

Sorry don't want to hijack your thread but can I just ask about the lunging bit - I'm bonding at the moment and sometimes my 2 go head on lunging, mouths wide open to bite and they start boxing each other :( this is when I separate them - any advice about this situation?

Thanks

:) Right. If she's lunging at him, try maybe itroducing them to a tiny room in your house (or the smallest) and then they can get to see eachother blah blah blah and then the run. Fur flying, lunging and all that is normal, ONLY seperate them if they're drawing blood and are actually fighting.
Are they both neutured/spayeed?

Both are girls and both are neutered - this is another reason I thought they'd be okay!:shock:

Seems a bit scary to leave them with fur flying - guess I may just have to not look!!

Last edited:
they should be fine, they're just finding out who's dominant.
Toffee is an AngoraXLionhead, so as you can imagine Ghostie went to town on pulling his fur out!!:lol:

I always put loads of hay and yummy treats into the bonding area so that their focus is primarily on that and not eachother

Back