• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you bury your bridge bunnies in your gardens?

**lexi**

Warren Scout
I do and have just been told that im not supposed to do that now,does anyone know why???
What are the alternatives?
sorry i know its a bit of a sensitive subject,but i need to know :cry:

Last edited:
I bury all my animals in the garden.I cant believe that Ive got any room left.I heard this last year that your not allowed to bury your pets in the garden any more.I'm pretty sure its something to do with animals contaminating the water course when they start to decompose.My friend had her horse put to sleep last year and the vet wouldn't let her bury it in her field even though she was no where near a water course.The alternative is to get them cremated.I did ask the vet nurse if this was true last year and she said she hadn't heard of this new law

Last edited:
Hi i've only buried my hamsters in the garden. I lost my little bunny lola 2 weeks ago of unknown causes she was only 2 years. I had her cremated and i got her ashes back which made me happy as she is with me forever now.

RIP LOLA

i intend on burying mine in the garden, just giving them back to nature, no-ones going to come around and check lol

i have always burried my animals in garden. i think and some people may find my views distressing that in death when they do decompose they will bring life...to small organisms in the ground, and that their spirits are already gone to the bridge, i wouldnt have any of my animals cremeted...as it upsets me and im worried that the ashes would blow away to somewhere they dont know and get lost.... sorry i know thats an odd view but it comforts me to know they are burried near by.

i do it i have 1 buried in my garden its my garden i will do what i like and whos gonna know anyway?

Totally agree with you, we are the same.

My mum has had the majority of our cats and dogs cremated (the ones she hadnt was because she didnt know about it) They then buy them a lovely rose that is associated to them. For example our big ginger cat has a rose called Ginger nut, and our Cat Purdy has a rose called purditor.

That way if she moves she knows she can take them with her. (they have their own pots not buried in the garden.)

xx

All of mine (8 hammies and 2 bunnies) have been cremated and their ashes scattered at the pet cemetery not far from here. Dizzy has a memorial plaque and we fully intend to get one done for Molly too. We made the decision to have our first hammie cremated as we knew we would be moving house and didn't want to leave her in the garden :( I also have a big fear of one of the cats digging them up or something ... hence the cremation.

I agree with you woodlouse thats why i had lola cremated cos i was scared that something might dig her up. But everyone has their own opinions in the end

We tend to bury the animals in the garden mainly due to the high cost of cremation. We had a wild owl come in and with having it put to sleep and cremated it cost £50. We have lots of wild animals come through that don't make it and couldn't afford the cremation bill for everything

I bury mine in the garden. I really don't like cremation because I am never convinced you get your pet's ashes back, I know this is silly but that's just how I am.

I like the idea that my pets rest where they enjoyed their life and as there is no water source for at least a mile, they're not doing anyone any harm. When I leave home, I'll take some of the soil from my garden with me.

I bury mine in the garden. I really don't like cremation because I am never convinced you get your pet's ashes back, I know this is silly but that's just how I am.

I like the idea that my pets rest where they enjoyed their life and as there is no water source for at least a mile, they're not doing anyone any harm. When I leave home, I'll take some of the soil from my garden with me.

Yes i agree,i like to think that they are still in the garden with the other buns,i really draw comfort from knowing where they are and knowing they are close by :?

I do. Flopsy, Patch and Nougat are all buried under their own specially chosen rose bush. They are close to me and each other, and I can still tell them what's going on.

This is Patch rose
DSCN1082.jpg

And Nougat rose
DSCN1081.jpg

I'm not sure why one shouldn't bury them in your own garden.

I've buried all my own animals in the garden all around the willow tree(cats, rabbit's gerbils budgies mice even fish) But my 2 foster babies (bunnies) have stayed at the vets, I didn't think I could cope with having them back to bury after a PM!

I've never heard anything about not being able to bury your own animals, I mean you own the land, and it's what happens in the wild, it's just natural. Whenever we had to put an animal to sleep, my vet would always ask if we would like to take the body home after, I always did!!

It's a comfort knowing they had a good life, and even though they are gone now, I can show them one last bit of love and respect, by making sure their bodies are treated respectfully.

At first I was worried about them being dug up, but I got over that by burying them really deep!

:( our first cat got hit by a car and we buried his body rather smartly in the garden before my eldest duaghter demanded to see his body..she was 9 then. A month later our hammy got strep throat off her and died and she was buried alongside....she had a red ceraminc tile painted for her marker and the cat had a wooden cross painted by my daughter.....when we got a diff house as we were moved for medical reasons she was so upset leaving htem behind in case someone dug them up like when we dug our garden over and i found several pig remains and a dogs skull with a few neck vertebrae and still wearing a collar:cry:
the land hadnt bene built on before our houses..it was a farm.

at our next house we had our beloved cat snuggles cremated and brought back as it was such a hearbreak it helped the girls and me grieve for him and move on....then my bunny had to be pts and didnt have the funds to do it again..so saldy i gave her to the vets for communal cremation and amde sure they put her fave toy cow in her body bag to go along with her:cry: couldnt bury her in the garden there as the starving cats in our street would have dig her up..if not them the little ba****ds who were known as children..would have done it:censored:

here when we lost woozle so horribly my duaghter paid herself to have him cremated os he could live in her room like he always wanted to....it heped her thru the trauma of how he died cos of the stupid vet:censored:
same with my beloved kitty and her beloved kitty..they were all 3 reunited again and i would love to bury their ahses in large pots with plants in so i could take them with if i ever move again befoe i go!
oscar was cremated too.....again nikki paid for it as it helped her grieve and move on.....and feel safer as our garden is clay on chalk and orrible to dig and shrinks so bad in warm dry weather it rises up! not ideal for burials plus we have foxes n cats but now the netting is up i hope it will deter both for now. in the future id like to bury them in large pots and plant wildflowers etc on the topbut with the frenchies itd be too hard:(

my daughters having her 24th birthday today and still has both buns caskets in her room and we have all 3 cats together downstairs in the unit.

i want a green burial but havent doneit for my pets..its all to do with where when and will it help the grieving process. whatever helps do that.

i rememebr some years back a lady i knew had this masisve ginger cat who defied traffic in the road outside his house..after many years he got hit and nearly died..after recovering etc 3 weeks after being back home he dropped dead with a heart attack and she buried him at the entrnace to her drive behind the low brick wall he loved so much and with extra catnip form the bush he had of it...she said he had his catnip and his favourite viewpoint to watch the traffic go by even in death.

We have 3 dogs, 5 rabbits, 4 piggies, budgies, fish and hamsters buried in our garden, and the ones I have now will go the same way.
I can't bear to be parted from them and I know that if I bury them they have been handled the way I want them to be.
Nobody is likely to check up - surely the vets don't report people taking home their dead animals to Enviro Health in case they do bury them in the garden??

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/gardenburial.html

this might help
i think it depends on how many pets you have, the neighbours rasied a few eyebrows at the amount of pets she buried in the garden along with pigeons and mice etc, the only animal she could not bury was the dog as he was to big to bury :( think more likely to do with health and safety to be honest one or two small pets shouldnt be too bad its when you have lots, my mum refused to let the 2 cats she had to have put to sleep be left at the vets and shes buried 5 over the years along with 2 rabbits and 3 guinea pigs, her only worry was if she moved and the new owners dig them up, that upsets her, she know where they all are as bluebells and daffodills grow beautifully where she has placed them, she always put them in an old pillow case then a cardborad box and put them in deep in the ground then planted something nice on top of them to prevent animals digging them up,

mind you hears a strangely sweet story my mate lost one of her guinea pigs she told her 4 yrs old and 8 year old that she had gone to heaven for which two weeks later her 4 year old came in with a bag and said "no mommie shes still dead" she had dug her back up, i know i shouldnt but i did laugh at that the innocence of children eh

Last edited:
Back