• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice required

Guesthere

New Kit
Hi,

Can someone give some advice. We have found a wild baby rabbit and brought it indoors to be kept. I'm wondering can he or shy become a pet?

Please can someone reply.

umm if its a bbay with no fur ect then it might not survive but if you feed it fourmular then it might do and if its young enough and gets checked over ect i dont see why it couldent become a pet all pet rabbits where wild once

Hi,

Thanks, I appreciate you replying. He's got plenty of fur and we're not sure what to feed him at the present.

i would take him to the vets and give him the thing they have to help babys survive wait is he hopping around with eyes open?>?

ohh its an older baby thats great!!!!!

ohh try him/she out with some fresh food and tomroow take him/she to the vets and get soem dried rabbit food :D

Hi,

When you say dried food, are you referring to hay? If that's the case, my partner has got some hay on his farm. Also, is it necessary to go to the vets with him or her?

I've read somewhere that you shouldn't feed them lettuce at a young age.

Right. Okay.
if you think that the rabbit won't survive in the wild keep him
Obviously his diet in the wild mainly consists of grass so i'd miss some grass and hay together to the ratio of 2:1, and gradually introduce pellets, you don't want to shock his system. Have you got a name?
This may sounds selfish but i had a wild bun who was close to my heart and died... 'Monkey'

Hi,

We haven't decided whether to keep him yet and haven't got a name for him or her. Is it allright to keep a wild rabbit as pet?

I wouldn't suggest taking to the vets yet. Obviously wild rabbits can die rom shock or delayed shock, so you don't want to shock him too much. Try making it like his natural enviroment as much as possible.
Also lettuce is a no no for rabbits... can be v dangerous, even though Guinea pigs love it!

Oh i forgot to ask. Is the rabbit okay medically?
How did you find him?
If he let you catch him he will probably have something wrong with him :?

Hi

We've only got a cardboard box for it and wonder what the padding should be. I put kitchen paper to layer it.

Hi,

It was quite difficult to catch him but it looked really lost and my partner said that it would probably be caught by another animal if it was left to its own devices, so I thought ok, we'll take him or her in. It's running around the living room at the present.

Hmmm where was it???
that's really strange usually they'd just run off into the undergrowth.
I'd seriously have a chat with your vet, he'd be able to help you out. If he can't be put back into the wild then deffinitely keep him as a pet.
How old? (Sorry i'm thinking a baby here)

Hi,

Yes, he is very young, a few weeks old we think. I'm not sure what I should do. My partner is saying I could leave out of the box in the living room until the morning.

I'd suggest keeping him in the box until the morning and cramming it full with hay and put him in. If you don't have hay then anything like.. shredded paper. This will act as his kind of burrow for the night. Keep him by your bed so you can monitor his health durng the night. Also you'll be able to hear if he's escaped or screaming in fright or whatever. Check if he's drinking and eating the grass you've given him frequently as well :)
Also make sure to stab lots of big air hole so he can breathe!! :lol:
And then pop straight to the vets. Be very stern with them and if they want to put him to sleep for non related medical reasons, tell them you're willing to see how he goes about turning him tame as he's very young and can adapt to it, even though you are aware that he can die of shock and all that kind of malarky.
Hope all goes well. :)

It's normal for rabbits to leave home as young as 4 weeks. If it was difficult to catch and uninjured then you probably should have left it. Although wild bunnies are cute they are wild animals!

If it's already running around and fully fured then it's too old to need handrearing and unlikely to become tame.

Wild rabbits are very high strung and even more difficult to keep than pet rabbits. He will eat out of a cardboard box. He'll need a pen a minimum of 6'x8', which a lid and something underneath to prevent digging. If you let him loose in the house he will chew your wallpaper, carpets, wires and furniture.

He should be fed grass as that's the diet he is used to. No commercial pellets or fruit/vegetables. You can add rabbit safe plants like dandelion he'd naturally encounter.

I'd suggest you find a wildlife sanctuary tommorow and they'll arrange to soft release him back to the wild. The Rabbit Welfare Assocation have a list: 0870 046 5249

Tam

Back