• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two males - I'm only just starting to have problems

Hey I'm new here because I am totally stumped.

I got my rabbits when they were six weeks old, and they were two males and they were litter mates. When they were 14 weeks old I had them castrated because the smaller one kept picking on the bigger one and seriously just wouldnt leave him alone he was always trying to hump him. Then last week (so that makes them about 21 weeks old), I was woken up to the sound of them scrapping in their cage. I have never seen them fight like this usually it was the smaller one was trying to hump to larger one. This time they were fighting with tooth and claw, so I had to split them up. The thing is, is that I have had them together running around and it's the larger one that is instigating the proper fighting, he used to be so docile. I have now seperated them into two cages but I dont know why this has happened. I'm so sad that they can't be together but considering I've had them neutered should this have happened in the first place. Will they ever be able to be together again because they both look so sad in two cages and we live in an apartment so getting them a new friend each is out of the question.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

Claire xxx:love:

what about supervised time out of the hutches together rather than housing together? If they are fighting badly I seriously would think about not putting them back together again as my friends had the same set up and the same thing happening re: the fighting and one must have kicked the other as (the more dominant one) has just died from internal njuries probably related to a kick from the other whilst trying to hump him and the remaining bunny has a bald patch on top of his back - good luck with working it out

Last edited:
Do you having any rescues near you that do bonding? :)

I had a similar problem with my male and his first wife, eventually it was decided that they were not suited :( this was the opinion of an experienced rescuer/bonder. But before you give up, I would ask the advice of someone with lots of bonding experience to assess them before making any decisions :)

You could ask on here if there is anyone in your area willing to offer this help (perhaps for a donation if they are a rescue?) :)

Wish you the best of luck with it, I know how stressful it can be :(

Back