• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help....not Eaten Or Drunk For Over A Week!

My 8 month old female Netherland Dwarf rabbit has now not eaten or drunk for 11 days.
She has been to the vet every day this week but so far no diagnosis....
She has been anaesthetised and had teeth checked - all fine, they have now taken a blood sample.
She was treated earlier in the week with Gut stimulants and that hasn't started her eating..
We are syringe feeding her daily and don't know what else to do..!

Can anyone offer any advice please??

:wave: i would get a second opinion...not saying your vet is incompetent but it sometimes helps to have someone else look at them..
i know when our buns dont want to eat we lightly tap them on the nose to encourage them to eat.get something that your bun really likes ,like parsley then tap them on the nose until he eats it.it normally works....
have you put your bun on painkillers? buns wont eat if they are in pain..
also probiotics are essential too..my theory is that i dont care what they want to eat so long as they do!!! one of our buns lived on hay and digestives for a few days until she got her appetite back..
have you tried shredded wheat?? most buns love it ,plus its healthy for them as its got fibre in and nothing else.(not as a long term thing though!)
sorry i cant help more...maybe they need to do more tests
get well soon little bun

Agree with the above post that painkillers might help. Sounds very worrying, so sending vibes for your bun.

Gosh! Really sorry to hear about your bun :(

Have you tried any other vets - have your vets tried to refer you? Have you tried any apple/fresh grass - only asking as my buns go mad for both.

Good luck, vibes for you and your lil bun x x

Is your bunny admitted to the vet for IV fluids? If she hasn't eaten or drunk for a long time then she will be incredibly dehydrated and her intestine contents will effectively turn to concrete - and syringing more food without fluid won't help to soften the existing contents. To help 'get things going again' I would suggest she needs to be put on a drip if she isn't already and as others have said - pain relief as a bun in pain won't eat anyway. Good luck xx

So sorry bout your bun, i agree with what everyone else as said especially rabbitmum.Have you tried Fresh Basil,Coriander that might tempt or weetabix.I really think he/she needs a painkiller i think that would make a difference, best of luck and keep us posted.x:D

She has been admitted into the vets twice this week.
They have given her pain killers, antibiotics and gut stimulants.
She is eating little bits of lettuce leaves but nothing else. Usually she eats double the amount of pellets she is supposed to have plus anything else, she has always had a healthy appetite (on previous occasions to the vets they have said she is chunky....)
She has also had probiotics.
Waiting for results of Blood Test today....

She has also got mucus around her nose today... I am guessing that is not a good sign???

have they not done xrays, to make sure there are no impactations within her guts.
I have got my fingers crossed for you.

:censored: some vets..she should be in until she improves for fluids via a drip:censored:

thats how i lost my precious oscar with gi stasis/bloat.....the vet was a good vet with dogs and cats and hopelss with buns..didnt find that out till bif was misdiagnosed with cancer and i sought a seocnd opinion rahter than have her pts as there was no proof..!!
now i have access to a bun vet but not all the time....if i need one badly like that id ring the main hopsital to ask for the ones i know..ive learnt thehard way..it doesnt hurt to ask for a second opinion but bifs cost me £50! but it meant ive had her another year and a half since then!

poor wee mite im keeping fingers crossed xxx

Blood tests have come back normal today.

She is still full of energy and still runs around (she is an indoor rabbit)

We are still feeding her RECOVERY via syringe!

Vet now thinks that she has Upper Respiritory Infection and we have to go back tomorrow for another antibiotic injection.

She is starting to chew when feeding her through syringe and we are gradually feeding more via syringe but she is still not eating on her own.

Dont mean to be crude but poo's are very small the few that she is doing.

Still very worried.

As for the vets bills - so far this week is have been £130 so thats not an issue!

Did you take x-ray? Is there any bone broken? Is there any sound in her breathing? If so, an upper molar could be growing inside her jaw, going upwards.

For this short time frame, give her some treats to induce her appetite.

They have not done any x-rays.

Been back to the vets again today.. Every day this week and have been told to go back again tomorrow for another antibiotic injection...

She is starting to take more of the RECOVERY still via syringe she has played with her Hay and eaten very tiny amounts on her own!!! And we are getting more droppings (very small)..

Vet is still unsure what is causing it, but we are obviously feeding her enough of the RECOVERY or she wouldn't still be here!

Just keeping up with the RECOVERY until she decides to eat on her own...

Thank you for the comments.

I used to use those Recovery mix. I stopped using it. As they smell and taste like :censored:

W/ my bridge bunny Goofball, I feed her in a 1 yr. time frame, due to her bone cancer, a daily mix of blackberry (6 to 12 oz) smashed the pulp by the juicer, and I cut very small (1 mm long) of timothy hay stem mix w/ the smashed pulp.

It smells good, and it tastes great and it enhances her diet, I highly recommend it

When my Lailey had Gi stasis the vets kept her in and put her on a drip, I'm sure that is what saved her. Plus a cocktail of other meds.
Good luck but have you thought about trying another vet for a second opinion?? No offence ment to current vet.

Juliaxx

my foster bun cookie was like that and they kept him in on a drip until he was 100% better, prhaps by letting her go home each time she isnt getting the chance to recover??x

Sunday Morning and another trip to the vet for another antibiotic injection.

Is there any advice on how to encourage her to start eating again???

We have tried tempting her with treats and that hasn't worked. :(

Sunday Morning and another trip to the vet for another antibiotic injection.

Is there any advice on how to encourage her to start eating again???

We have tried tempting her with treats and that hasn't worked. :(

i had buns in the past who wouldnt eat for various reasons most of them unliekly in your case(one had paralysis of the throat basically and a braing tumour extreamly rare in fact vet wrote a paper on it) but i have found that baby food or mashed up fruit/veg in blender etc on a teaspoon they will lap it up or possibly try warm water soak a mix food/pellet food and again feed in a small bowl or off a spoon. some buns have to be syringe fed and i have done this with baby food when nessacery as mine never took to recovery...but keep up with all you are doing is bun dehydrated? tried apple juice in water bowl? ok still not drinkin a drip may be best.... but good luck vibes your way xxx

Back